‘Think of J&K before deciding on Afzal`s clemency’
New Delhi: Centre`s interlocutor on Kashmir
Dileep Padgaonkar on Thursday said that any decision on the mercy
petition of the Parliament attack mastermind Afzal Guru should
be taken keeping in mind the present situation in Jammu and
He said personally he was "against death penalty" in
"I do not have the slightest of doubt in my mind that
Afzal Guru has committed heinous crime and he has been
convicted by the highest court in the country," Padgaonkar
However, "the decision to carry out the punishment must
be seen in the present context of Jammu and Kahsmir," he said.
Guru, hailing from the Valley, was convicted in the
Parliament attack case of 2001 in which 13 persons including
security personnel were killed by the hands of five terrorists
of Jaish-e-Mohammed and Lashkar-e-Taiba.
He was sentenced to death by the Supreme Court in 2004.
However, Guru`s execution was stayed following a mercy
petition filed by his wife. The Home Ministry has recommended
rejection of the mercy petition to the President.
The Home Ministry is believed to have cited the Delhi
government`s recommendation which also favoured execution of
Guru, an issue which has been hanging fire for seven years and
has been a subject matter of intense political controversy.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Shiv Sena join hands with Congress to stop BJP from entering BMC?
- Why is Akhilesh Yadav encouraging dishonesty for votes?
- China 'threatened' by ISRO's record-setting achievement?
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- UP polls: Polling for fifth phase of Assembly elections today
- Virender Sehwag's reply to Kargil martyr's daughter has taken the Internet by storm
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Pune Test: Virender Sehwag could have saved India from embarrassment, says former Aussie stars
- WATCH: MS Dhoni rips apart bowlers to smash brilliant 129-run knock in Vijay Hazare Trophy