Thinking of setting up commercial courts: CJI
New Delhi: Chief Justice of India S H
Kapadia Saturday said setting up of commercial courts to achieve
quick disposal of cases is being considered as other judges of
the apex court favoured promotion of alternative dispute
resolution mechanism to reduce the burden on courts.
Speaking at a seminar on mediation, Justice Kapadia
blamed lack of settlement culture in the country for the rise
in pendency of cases and people not preferring out-of-court
resolution of disputes.
"We are thinking of setting up commercial courts," he
Speaking about huge arrears of cases in courts, Justice
Kapadia said, "In India we, do not have a settlement culture.
People are not picking settlement culture (in India).
Mediation and arbitration as a mode of dispute settlement is
popular and successful in other countries."
"We must understand the value of time. This is one of the
areas we need to focus on how to promote that culture," he
Other Supreme Court judges at the conference also
expressed similar views and emphasised the need to promote
alternative dispute resolution mechanism to reduce the pressure
"Nobody can be blamed for the load of work we have. But
we have to find a solution to get out of this mess," Justice
Altamas Kabir, the senior-most judge, said.
"It has become difficult to pay attention to the cases
which deserve attention because of increasing number of cases.
Space is to be created in courts to deal with cases which
cannot be resolved through mediation like criminal, election
and administrative cases," Justice R V Raveendran said.
"We need to have space to focus on important cases,"
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced on May 28
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark