Thinking of setting up commercial courts: CJI
New Delhi: Chief Justice of India S H
Kapadia Saturday said setting up of commercial courts to achieve
quick disposal of cases is being considered as other judges of
the apex court favoured promotion of alternative dispute
resolution mechanism to reduce the burden on courts.
Speaking at a seminar on mediation, Justice Kapadia
blamed lack of settlement culture in the country for the rise
in pendency of cases and people not preferring out-of-court
resolution of disputes.
"We are thinking of setting up commercial courts," he
Speaking about huge arrears of cases in courts, Justice
Kapadia said, "In India we, do not have a settlement culture.
People are not picking settlement culture (in India).
Mediation and arbitration as a mode of dispute settlement is
popular and successful in other countries."
"We must understand the value of time. This is one of the
areas we need to focus on how to promote that culture," he
Other Supreme Court judges at the conference also
expressed similar views and emphasised the need to promote
alternative dispute resolution mechanism to reduce the pressure
"Nobody can be blamed for the load of work we have. But
we have to find a solution to get out of this mess," Justice
Altamas Kabir, the senior-most judge, said.
"It has become difficult to pay attention to the cases
which deserve attention because of increasing number of cases.
Space is to be created in courts to deal with cases which
cannot be resolved through mediation like criminal, election
and administrative cases," Justice R V Raveendran said.
"We need to have space to focus on important cases,"
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: How Russian special forces Spetsnaz will end terror of ISIS
- Panel discussion on BJP MLAs assaulting legislator Rashid inside J&K Assembly
- Two J&K MLAs clash over beef party issue in Legislative Assembly
- Vladimir Putin's attack on ISIS making America and NATO nations uneasy?
- PM Modi breaks silence on Dadri lynching incident
- Latest condition of Navjot Singh Sidhu: Sherry Paaji making steady recovery!
- FIR against Asaduddin Owaisi for posting objectionable picture of Yogi Adityanath on Facebook
- Bihar has to choose between 'jungle raj' and 'vikas Raj': Narendra Modi
- Shocking! Saudi employer chops off Indian maid's hands
- Salman Khan's songs: Best five!