Third Front does not exist: Congress
New Delhi: Despite Odisha Chief Minister Naveen Patnaik hailing it as a "very healthy" option, Congress indicated that the idea of formation of a "Third Front" is a non-starter.
"Third Front does not exist. History has shown that such a front can never be strong. Anything which does not work on principles, cannot traverse much path," party spokesman Rashid Alvi told reporters.
He was asked to comment on Patnaik making a strong pitch for a Third Front ahead of the Lok Sabha elections scheduled in middle of next year.
Patnaik, who has been a staunch supporter of a Federal Front of Opposition ruled states, earlier said, "I think the Third Front is a very healthy option. But it is still early days."
Both the Congress and the BJP generally dismiss Third Front as the "most enduring mirage of Indian politics" and insist that it holds no relevance today.
The refrain of the two major national parties has always been that the Third Front is a history in Indian politics. It was never a success in the past. It has no promise for the future.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about
- MS Dhoni reacts in astonishment as Axar Patel takes a stunning one-handed catch - VIDEO
- Pierce Brosnan 'deeply shocked and saddened' because of Pan Masala brand ad
- Sushant Singh Rajput’s former girlfriend Ankita Lokhande’s Karva Chauth photos will surprise you