Third Front does not exist: Congress
New Delhi: Despite Odisha Chief Minister Naveen Patnaik hailing it as a "very healthy" option, Congress indicated that the idea of formation of a "Third Front" is a non-starter.
"Third Front does not exist. History has shown that such a front can never be strong. Anything which does not work on principles, cannot traverse much path," party spokesman Rashid Alvi told reporters.
He was asked to comment on Patnaik making a strong pitch for a Third Front ahead of the Lok Sabha elections scheduled in middle of next year.
Patnaik, who has been a staunch supporter of a Federal Front of Opposition ruled states, earlier said, "I think the Third Front is a very healthy option. But it is still early days."
Both the Congress and the BJP generally dismiss Third Front as the "most enduring mirage of Indian politics" and insist that it holds no relevance today.
The refrain of the two major national parties has always been that the Third Front is a history in Indian politics. It was never a success in the past. It has no promise for the future.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- GUJCET Results 2015 declared on gseb.org
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm
- Rahul Gandhi takes another dig at NDA govt, says Manmohan gave lessons on economy to PM Modi
- Centre moves SC against Delhi HC order on LG's powers; hearing on Friday