Third Front `most enduring mirage` of Indian politics: Congress
New Delhi: Terming the emergence of a Third Front as "the most enduring mirage of Indian politics", Congress on Monday said the UPA government at the Centre is "absolutely stable."
"In politics you always have different experiments which keep unfolding at different points in time. But if you look at the history of the past 20 years, the history of coalition politics in India, the reality is that a Third front or a Fourth Front or a Fifth Front has been the most enduring mirage of Indian politics," Union Minister and Congress spokesperson Manish Tewari said.
"A couple of days ago, while addressing media, the Finance Minister, the Parliamentary Affairs Minister and I had underscored that the government is absolutely stable," Tewari said.
He said in the past few days, except for speculation in the media, nobody had raised any question on the stability of the government.
"So, therefore, this is a complete non sequitur, so far as the Third Front or the Fourth Front or the Fifth Front is concerned," Tewari said.
Finance Minister P Chidambaram had said that despite the DMK`s exit, Congress-led UPA government is stable and enjoys majority support in Parliament.
DMK chief M Karunanidhi had pulled out of the UPA over the Sri Lanka issue.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: APJ Abdul Kalam's last journey, India bids a tearful adieu
- DNA : Justice delivered; India hangs 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon
- 'People's President' APJ Abdul Kalam laid to rest in Rameswaram
- Robert Vadra explains Facebook post, denies insulting Parliament
- Shashi Tharoor condems Yakub Memon's hanging
- Yakub Memon: The two men who lead police to 'House of Memons'
- Why did you choose Smriti Irani as HRD minister? Congress leader asks PM Narendra Modi
- Meeting called by Speaker fails to end Parliament logjam; government indicates all-party meet
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror
- Cristiano Ronaldo great, but Lionel Messi is greatest: Xavi Hernandez