Third Front: Will have to wait and watch, says Patnaik
New Delhi: Against the backdrop of SP supremo Mulayam Singh Yadav raising the issue of a Third Front, BJD chief and Odisha Chief Minister Naveen Patnaik Thursday said he is watching the situation as it develops before taking a call on it.
Asked about his views on the formation of a Third Front, Patnaik said, "We will have to wait and watch and see how these matters progress."
Patnaik was here to meet Water Resources Minister Harish Rawat to discuss the hurdles in the Polavaram project and other water-related issues.
Yadav has floated again the idea of a Third Front apparently with an eye on the general elections slated for 2014. BJD had moved away from NDA before the Assembly polls in Odisha in 2009.
Rawat dismissed the idea of a Third Front, saying several attempts have been made to form such a coalition in the past but these have had "premature abortions".
He said Mulayam Singh Yadav may be making such statements but he is still supporting the UPA government from outside and will continue to do so to protect secularism and provide stability.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- Cashless transactions increased rapidly following note ban
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note