Thirteen FIRs lodged by DGCA so far in fake pilot licence scam
New Delhi: Aviation regulator DGCA has so
far lodged a total of 13 FIRs against as many pilots for
obtaining licences on the basis of fudged documents.
"We have so far lodged 13 FIRs against 13 pilots,"
DGCA chief EK Bharat Bhushan said on Tuesday.
Till date, 13 persons, including five pilots and three
DGCA staffers, have been arrested on charges of using forged
marksheets, fudged flying hours and related documents to
procure flying licences from the Directorate General of Civil
With the drive to verify the documents and licences of
pilots and commanders nearing completion, the regulator is
rushing through the process of scrutinising all papers
relating to those licence holders whose cases are suspect.
Over 1,700 licences have so far been scrutinised and
seven of them have turned out to be fake.
The DGCA had ordered a thorough scrutiny of the
documents of all the 4,500 Airline Transport Pilot License
(ATPL) holders following a probe of documents of an IndiGo
pilot, Capt Parminder Kaur Gulati, who landed an Airbus 320
aircraft at Goa airport on the nose wheel, thus damaging it.
She was arrested on forgery charges and later released on
The regulator is now verifying the papers of over
6,300 co-pilots registered with it and hopes to complete the
process at the earliest, official sources said.
Three DGCA teams would also span out across the
country in a few days to carry out full-fledged audits of 40
These teams, comprising DGCA officers and outside
experts, would verify the flying hours logged by various pilot
trainees with the log books of air traffic controllers.
They would also check the aviation fuel consumption by
the flying schools and their fuel bills to see if they match
the flying hours clocked by their students.
The DGCA, after receiving complaints about fudging of
actual flight hours logged in a student`s log book by flying
school to help them get a CPL, has set up three teams to carry
out full-fledged audits of 40 such institutions across the
country from next week.
Apart from it, Bhushan has favoured a complete revamp
of issuing licence to pilots to tackle the problem of fudging
of documents to obtain licences.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Heart-wrenching reality of Kashmiri pandits
- Proud to be an Indian, no plans to leave the country, says Aamir Khan
- DNA: Bengaluru's Mount Carmel college students show country's ideology to Rahul Gandhi
- Rahul Gandhi's embarrassment in front of Bengaluru college students
- DNA: Aamir Khan clarifies his love towards nation but sticks to previous statement
- Intolerance issue: Proud to be Indian, won't leave country, says Aamir Khan
- Watch: Chicago cop shoots a 17-year-old black man 16 times
- WATCH: Rahul Gandhi asks 'Is Swachh Bharat working', Mount Carmel girls yell 'Yessss'
- Yuvraj Singh completes 8000 runs in first class cricket
- Katra helicopter crash: 'Dead pilot' Sumita Vijayan says she is alive