`Thirty two backward dists may get Central funds`
New Delhi: A move is afoot to include 32 districts in the economically backward regions to make them eligible for Central funds, the Rajya Sabha was informed on Thursday.
Panchayati Raj Minister V Kishore Chandra Deo said during Question Hour that proposals for inclusion of these districts in the backward region had been received.
They include 19 new districts that had been carved out in different states, he said.
Deo said it is the Planning Commission which decides on inclusion of additional districts under the Backward Regions Grant Fund (BRGF) programme.
"Proposals are being considered by the Planning Commission," he said adding the basic criteria for including of districts in BRGF was economic status, health status, education status and infrastructure inadequacies.
He said over Rs 18,280 crore had been released to 250 districts in the past six years. The highest amount of Rs 2,645.60 crore was released for 36 districts in Bihar, followed by Rs 2,359.21 crore for 34 districts in Uttar Pradesh.
Madhya Pradesh`s 24 backward districts got Rs 2,019.09 crore while 13 districts of Andhra Pradesh got Rs 1,651.88 crore. Odisha`s 19 districts got Rs 1,446.28 crore and Rs 1,225.73 crore was given to 12 districts of Rajasthan.
He said funds are released only after utilisation certificate is given by the state government. "There is no proposal at this stage to remove existing districts from BRGF after they become stable," he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate