`Thirty two backward dists may get Central funds`
New Delhi: A move is afoot to include 32 districts in the economically backward regions to make them eligible for Central funds, the Rajya Sabha was informed on Thursday.
Panchayati Raj Minister V Kishore Chandra Deo said during Question Hour that proposals for inclusion of these districts in the backward region had been received.
They include 19 new districts that had been carved out in different states, he said.
Deo said it is the Planning Commission which decides on inclusion of additional districts under the Backward Regions Grant Fund (BRGF) programme.
"Proposals are being considered by the Planning Commission," he said adding the basic criteria for including of districts in BRGF was economic status, health status, education status and infrastructure inadequacies.
He said over Rs 18,280 crore had been released to 250 districts in the past six years. The highest amount of Rs 2,645.60 crore was released for 36 districts in Bihar, followed by Rs 2,359.21 crore for 34 districts in Uttar Pradesh.
Madhya Pradesh`s 24 backward districts got Rs 2,019.09 crore while 13 districts of Andhra Pradesh got Rs 1,651.88 crore. Odisha`s 19 districts got Rs 1,446.28 crore and Rs 1,225.73 crore was given to 12 districts of Rajasthan.
He said funds are released only after utilisation certificate is given by the state government. "There is no proposal at this stage to remove existing districts from BRGF after they become stable," he added.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Helicopter ferrying 6 pilgrims, woman pilot crashes near Katra
- Growing sense of despondency in India from last 6-8 months: Aamir Khan
- 8th Ramnath Goenka Awards: Sudhir Chaudhary awarded for Excellence in Journalism
- Tejashwi Yadav takes charge as Deputy CM of Bihar
- Arvind Kejriwal clarifies his friendly gesture with Lalu Prasad Yadav
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Rahul's mails nail Peter Mukerjea's involvement in Sheena Bora murder case?
- Lesson for jihadi aspirants? ISIS says Indians not good enough as 6 out of 23 fighters from India are killed
- Aamir Khan feels intolerance growing in India, says his wife suggested moving out of India
- Helicopter crash kills six Vaishno Devi pilgrims, pilot near Katra; chopper service suspended