This is not the end of Bharat Ratna process: Tewari
Panaji: Even as the controversy surrounding Bharat Ratna refuses to die down, Union Information and Broadcasting Minister Manish Tewari on Wednesday downplayed the raging debate saying that it was not the end-all of the awarding process of the country`s highest civilian award.
Addressing mediapersons in Goa, Tewari defended the government`s decision to confer Bharat Ratna on scientist CNR Rao and cricket legend Sachin Tendulkar, soon after his retirement from all formats of the game in Mumbai last week.
"I don`t think that anybody dispute the fact that there are others who also deserve (the award). It`s appropriate at that time that others should also be considered," the minister said reacting to BJP`s demand to honour party veteran and former Prime Minister Atal Bihari Vajpayee with the award.
"This is not the end of Bharat Ratna process. This is rather a beginning. There is no controversy in it. I think we should applaud the fact that a sports person is felicitated and if at all other sportsperson are need to be felicitated, Government will look at it," he said.
BJP had raised the issue asking why Vajpayee was not bestowed with Bharat Ratna for his contribution in the formation of Chhattisgarh and for being the most popular Prime Minister of the country.
The party had said that after the next general elections if BJP comes to power, it will felicitate Vajpayee, which he rightly deserves.
Also, a petition has been filed challenging the Centre`s decision to honour the just-retired cricketer and alleging a `conspiracy` to ignore hockey legend Dhyan Chand.
The petition said none of the distinguished persons like Vajpayee, socialist leader Ram Manohar Lohia or other cricketers who had brought glory to the country had been considered for the award.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Exclusive: Prakash Javadekar's views on issue of climate change before UN summit
- Kerala's Sunni religious leader calls gender equality ‘un-Islamic’
- Women fit only to deliver children, gender equality un-islamic: Kerala Muslim leader
- Russia strikes down Goa, India from its safe travel destinations list
- Intolerance issue: Aamir Khan's remarks 'innocent', says Rajkumar Hirani
- Arvind Kejriwal backs Tarun Gogoi's claim over Guv favouring BJP, suspects 'coop federalism'
- PM Modi leaves for Paris to take part in Climate Conference