Thomas resigns as CVC after SC declares appointment illegal
New Delhi: Central Vigilance Commissioner
PJ Thomas has resigned after the Supreme Court held his
appointment as illegal, Law Minister M Veerappa Moily said
"He has resigned...the Supreme Court has also held his
appointment as illegal," Moily told reporters.
To a question on the apex court`s rap on the
government on Thomas` appointment, Moily said, "We respect the
judgement. Other details we won`t be able to say because we
are yet to go through the judgement."
Shortly after the Supreme Court`s verdict on Thomas,
Prime Minister Manmohan Singh met Moily to discuss the issue.
Minister of State in PMO V Narayanasamy was also
After a brief meeting with the Prime Minister, Moily
and Narayanasamy met Finance Minister Pranab Mukherjee.
To a question on whether the apex court ruling was an
embarrassment for the Prime Minister as he was a part of the
panel which selected Thomas, the Law Minister said no
"illegality" has been done by the Prime Minister.
"There is no such illegality done by the Prime
Minister. PM has been very clear...," Moily said.
The Law Minister, however, said the Government will
"set right" the procedure for such appointments.
"There are some set procedures. That procedure would
have been questioned (by the apex court) and we will set right
the procedure for the future...," he said.
He said executive orders are challenged before the SC
on many occasions and government takes corrective measures
based on rulings.
"The SC passes an order. If there are any procedural
things that have been commented upon, we are here to rectify
and proceed further," he said.
Defending the decision of the panel to appoint Thomas
despite protests by Leader of the Opposition Sushma Swaraj,
Moily said whenever such appointment are considered, it is
done after getting clearance from the CVC.
"Here is a case which was cleared. Whether the CVC was
wrong in clearing it is a matter of debate. On the basis of
that the collegium (three-member panel) had cleared it. You
can`t find fault with the PM..." he said in reply to a poser
on the decision to select Thomas as CVC despite opposition by
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dadri lynching: Is Kejriwal spreading poison between Hindus and Muslims?
- Lalu Prasad calls beef eating people uncultured
- Why did Indrani Mukerjea attempt suicide?
- Dadri lynching: Locals stop Arvind Kejriwal from entering Bisara village
- Muslims asked to sprinkle cow urine on body in order to be part of Garba festivities
- Sonia begins Bihar polls campaining; accuses PM Modi of 'narrow-mindedness'
- Salman Khan’s ‘Prem Ratan Dhan Payo’ trailer creates a record!
- Indrani Mukerjea's FSL report rules out drug overdose, says no chemicals found in stomach wash
- Lynching case in Dadri: Rahul meets victim Iqlakh's family, says touched by people's desire to maintain harmony
- Muslims banned from Garba in Gujarat's Mandvi; Hindus asked to sprinkle cow urine on themselves