Those opposing FDI in retail are `ignorant` of realties: PM
New Delhi: Emboldened by the victory over the issue of FDI in retail in Parliament, Prime Minister Manmohan Singh on Saturday hit out at opponents, saying they are "ignorant" about global realities or are constrained by "outdated ideologies".
Asserting that the decisions on allowing FDI in retail and also in other sectors were based on sound economic logic, he said "these (were) politically difficult" decisions, but the government went ahead as it had the courage of conviction.
Addressing the annual general meeting of FICCI, Singh said the recent steps by the government were only the "beginning of a process" to revive the economy and take it back to its growth rate of 8-9 per cent.
"Our decision on Foreign Direct Investment in Multi-brand retail, civil aviation, power-trading exchanges and broadcasting must also be viewed in this larger context," he said while citing the challenges on fiscal deficit front as also the global economic environment.
He insisted that these decisions were based on larger concerns about national security and the need to insulate India from persistent global economic slowdown.
"I am afraid that those who oppose these moves are either ignorant of global realities or are constrained by out-dated ideologies.
"For example, when I hear the debate on Foreign Direct Investment in Retail, what I hear are arguments against large scale organised retail, and not against Foreign Direct Investment in retail," Singh said.
The Prime Minister`s justification of FDI decisions came against the backdrop of government`s victory in Parliament last week, when Opposition`s resolution moved against FDI in retail was voted out with BSP and SP bailing out the UPA.
Talking about further reforms for economic reforms, Singh said the government is bringing greater clarity on the FDI policy in the pharma sector and the Railways are working on a Rail Tariff Authority.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Revealed - How Indian Army hit terror camps across LoC!
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Is it time for India to respond militarily to Pak terror instead of peace talks?
- India used 'Cartosat 2c' satellite in surgical strikes against Pakistan
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- After threatening Zee News, Hafiz Saeed says PM Modi, Ajit Doval staged `surgical strike drama'
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read