Those waging war against extremism must be protected: Congress
New Delhi: The Congress party on Sunday said it is incumbent upon the state governments to ensure that those who wage political battle against the Left-wing extremism are well protected.
"Violence needs to be dealt with a combination of hard power and soft power. But it is also incumbent upon the state government to see that all those who wage political battle against the Left-wing extremism or such separatist ideologies are protected," Information and Broadcasting Minister Manish Tewari told reporters here.
A large group of Maoists, hiding in a foresteed area of the southern Bastar region, carried out an attack on a Congress party convoy in Chhattisgarh Saturday evening. The guerrillas felled trees to block the convoy, carried out a landmine blast and then opened random fire, resulting in the death of at least 16 people, including two senior Congress leaders, and injuries to 25 others.
The Congress convoy was targeted near Darbha forest in Jagdalpur, about 340 km south of the Chhattisgarh capital Raipur.
"It is not rocket science to figure out as to who was responsible for this very, very cowardly attack. There are forces of the Left-wing extremism who believe in the violent overthrow of the Indian state," Tewari said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Maysore Maharaja Yaduveer ties knot with princess Trishika of Dungarpur
- India becomes full member of Missile Technology Control Regime
- Singapore Airlines plane catches fire at Changi Airport
- Govt's insensitivity towards Pampore terror attack martyrs leaves nation stunned
- Mysore Maharaja Yaduveer Wadiar ties knot with princess Trishika Singh of Dungarpur, Rajasthan
- India set to get MTCR membership, NSG option remains open: MEA
- LIVE CRICKET SCORE: ODI Tri-series final — West Indies vs Australia
- Haryana to be open-defecation free by December 2017: Khattar
- Earth's ancient magnetic field had more than two poles!
- VIDEOS: MS Dhoni's wife Sakshi shares her adorable moments with daughter Ziva