‘Those who slapped sedition charge against Aseem liable to be prosecuted’
New Delhi: Press Council Chairperson Justice Markandey Katju has condemned the slapping of sedition charges against Mumbai-based cartoonist Aseem Trivedi and alleged those who had done it were indulged in a serious offence and were liable to face criminal proceedings.
Katju also said that in case any similar wrongful arrest takes place in future, he himself would step in and get the guilty person, no matter how highly placed, put behind the bars.
"If a wrongful arrest is made, when the person has not committed sedition, as Assem Trivedi has certainly not committed sedition, then those people who make that wrongful arrest, it is a serious offence under the Indian Penal Code section 342," Katju said in an interview with Karan Thapar for the programme Devil`s Advocate on CNN IBN.
"They must be booked. These policemen and if any political authority have ordered these arrests, they must be immediately arrested and put on trial," he added.
Katju said one of the ways for a victim of a wrongful arrest was to approach a judicial magistrate.
"So, file criminal a complaint, make the minister, make the Director General of Police, the Superintendent of Police, the daroga, everybody as the accused and I am sure if some material is produced, a notice will be served and they will be put on trial," he said.
The Press Council chairperson said he did not want to comment on judicial proceedings which were still pending but added it was a serious offence to lock up a person when he has not committed a crime.
"If this thing is repeated ever again and it comes to my knowledge that such illegal arrest is made, when there is no crime committed, I, as the chairperson Press Council, am going to institute criminal proceedings and get the person locked up whether he is chief minister or minister or Director General of Police," Katju said.
"By now, you must be knowing what kind of person I am," he told Thapar.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- CBSE 12th Results 2015: CBSE Board Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic class 12th XII board exam Results 2015 date announced
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- RBSE 12th Science & Commerce Board Result 2015 declared
- West Bengal Board Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015 announced
- RBSE rajresults.nic.in & rajeduboard.nic.in 12th Results 2015: BSER Ajmer Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII Senior Secondary Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared shortly
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh