Thousands take Basant Panchami dip in Sangam
Allahabad: A sea of devotees converged on the Sangam, the confluence of the Ganga, the Yamuna and the mythical Saraswati, to take a holy dip and offer prayers in this pilgrim town on the occasion of Basant Panchami on Tuesday.
"Around 10 lakh (one million) devotees have taken the holy dip since early morning," said an official of the Allahabad district administration.
Several cultural events and programmes in worship of Saraswati, the Hindu goddess of learning, were held in schools and other educational institutions in Lucknow.
Prominent temples in Lucknow, including the Gulachin Mandir of Kursi Road and the old temple of Aliganj, were abuzz with activity. Wearing yellow clothes, devotees lined up to seek the blessings of the goddess.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- ATM virus attack: Users of debit cards under threat!
- J&K govt suspends 12 officials on anti-national activities
- Bhubaneswar fire: Owner of SUM Hospital surrenders
- Delhi Police may arrest Kabaddi player Rohit over wife's suicide
- Politics over Mahesh Sharma's visit to Ayodhya museum site ahead of UP elections
- Airtel takes on Reliance Jio yet again; offers 10GB of 4G data at just Rs 259
- Pierce Brosnan 'deeply shocked and saddened' because of Pan Masala brand ad
- Sushant Singh Rajput’s former girlfriend Ankita Lokhande’s Karva Chauth photos will surprise you
- 'Ae Dil Hai Mushkil' release: I stand with Bollywood, why punish Pakistani artistes, says Digvijay Singh
- Man divorces wife after seeing her first time without make-up!