Thousands take Basant Panchami dip in Sangam
Allahabad: A sea of devotees converged on the Sangam, the confluence of the Ganga, the Yamuna and the mythical Saraswati, to take a holy dip and offer prayers in this pilgrim town on the occasion of Basant Panchami on Tuesday.
"Around 10 lakh (one million) devotees have taken the holy dip since early morning," said an official of the Allahabad district administration.
Several cultural events and programmes in worship of Saraswati, the Hindu goddess of learning, were held in schools and other educational institutions in Lucknow.
Prominent temples in Lucknow, including the Gulachin Mandir of Kursi Road and the old temple of Aliganj, were abuzz with activity. Wearing yellow clothes, devotees lined up to seek the blessings of the goddess.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Blackbuck poaching case: Rajasthan government may appeal against Salman Khan's acquittal
- 'Michael Jackson died a vulnerable man'
- Kunis, Kutcher bought wedding rings on e-commerce site
- Court rejects Ohio law that bans police from sex with minors
- Democrats speaking about world that does not exist: Trump