Thousands take Basant Panchami dip in Sangam
Allahabad: A sea of devotees converged on the Sangam, the confluence of the Ganga, the Yamuna and the mythical Saraswati, to take a holy dip and offer prayers in this pilgrim town on the occasion of Basant Panchami on Tuesday.
"Around 10 lakh (one million) devotees have taken the holy dip since early morning," said an official of the Allahabad district administration.
Several cultural events and programmes in worship of Saraswati, the Hindu goddess of learning, were held in schools and other educational institutions in Lucknow.
Prominent temples in Lucknow, including the Gulachin Mandir of Kursi Road and the old temple of Aliganj, were abuzz with activity. Wearing yellow clothes, devotees lined up to seek the blessings of the goddess.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- LIVE: Jallikattu Bill passed unanimously in state Assembly; violence rocks Tamil Nadu
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS
- Bigots at it again! Mohammed Shami called un-Islamic for posting picture with dog