Threads of Love: Nation celebrates Raksha Bandhan
New Delhi: Reaffirming the treasured bond of
love and care between brothers and sisters, Raksha Bandhan was
celebrated across the nation on Saturday with traditional fervour
Feasting, merry-making and exchange of gifts marked the
the day as sisters, dressed in their fineries, applied `tilak`
on their brothers` foreheads and tied rakhis on their wrists
praying for their happiness and prosperity.
Brothers, in turn, vowed to protect their sisters against
all evils coming in way.
It was also the perfect occasion for family gatherings as
people took time out from their busy schedules with several
private sector companies declaring a holiday.
Sweets shops had long queues as crowds gathered for
last-minute purchases. Similar scenes were witnessed outside
gift shops and theatres across the country.
President Pratibha Patil, Vice President Hamid Ansari and
Prime Minister Manmohan Singh wished people on the occasion
and hoped the festival would strengthen goodwill in the
Patil celebrated rakhi with children, including the
differently-abled ones, at the Rashtrapati Bhavan here.
In a symbolic gesture, Bihar Chief Minister Nitish Kumar
tied a rakhi to a tree.
"Today, the people of Bihar should pledge that every one
of them will plant at least one tree each and tie rakhis to
trees across the state," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Security guard beats woman journalist publicly in Pakistan
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; 7 Pak Rangers killed, BSF jawan injured
- ISIS terrorists escape Mosul disguised in women's clothing
- DNA: Analysing the existing poor condition of Indian education system
- DNA: Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; Seven Pak Rangers killed
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about
- MS Dhoni reacts in astonishment as Axar Patel takes a stunning one-handed catch - VIDEO
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- MS Dhoni or Virat Kohli? Here's Virender Sehwag's best ever reply
- Sushant Singh Rajput’s former girlfriend Ankita Lokhande’s Karva Chauth photos will surprise you