Threads of Love: Nation celebrates Raksha Bandhan
New Delhi: Reaffirming the treasured bond of
love and care between brothers and sisters, Raksha Bandhan was
celebrated across the nation on Saturday with traditional fervour
Feasting, merry-making and exchange of gifts marked the
the day as sisters, dressed in their fineries, applied `tilak`
on their brothers` foreheads and tied rakhis on their wrists
praying for their happiness and prosperity.
Brothers, in turn, vowed to protect their sisters against
all evils coming in way.
It was also the perfect occasion for family gatherings as
people took time out from their busy schedules with several
private sector companies declaring a holiday.
Sweets shops had long queues as crowds gathered for
last-minute purchases. Similar scenes were witnessed outside
gift shops and theatres across the country.
President Pratibha Patil, Vice President Hamid Ansari and
Prime Minister Manmohan Singh wished people on the occasion
and hoped the festival would strengthen goodwill in the
Patil celebrated rakhi with children, including the
differently-abled ones, at the Rashtrapati Bhavan here.
In a symbolic gesture, Bihar Chief Minister Nitish Kumar
tied a rakhi to a tree.
"Today, the people of Bihar should pledge that every one
of them will plant at least one tree each and tie rakhis to
trees across the state," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Modi govt turns down IAF's request for more foreign fighter planes, pushes for Made-in-India Tejas
- Navjot Singh Sidhu diagnosed with DVT: Know about this life threatening disease!
- Latest condition of Navjot Singh Sidhu: Sherry Paaji making steady recovery!
- Unbelievable! Crops destroyed for Congress vice president Rahul Gandhi's rally in Karnataka
- Rahul Gandhi takes potshot at PM Narendra Modi's fashion sense - Watch