"Threatening" SMS to Tharoor: Businessman let off on bail
New Delhi: A Delhi court on Friday granted bail
to a businessman, accused of sending threatening and filthy
text messages to politicians, including former Union Minister
Chief Metropolitan Magistrate Kaveri Baweja granted the
relief to Narender Khosla, 27, a manpower supplier who had
allegedly procured SIM cards in someone else`s name, on a
personal bond and a surety of Rs 35,000 each.
Khosla had allegedly sent threatening SMSes to Tharoor
and MPs Brinda Karat, Mehmood Masood Madani, Rashid Alvi, Om
Prakash and Sandeep Dikshit.
Taking into account the fact that the accused was in
custody since April 16, the court said "no fruitful purpose,
in my view, shall be served by keeping the accused behind the
"The case is still at the stage of investigation. It will
be premature, in my view, to express any opinion regarding
offence for which the accused may ultimately be chargesheeted.
However, it cannot be ignored that the accused is in the
custody since April 16," the court said.
It also took into account that the alleged recovery of
the computer, printer and scanner, used for preparing fake
identity cards, have been effected at the instance of the
Delhi police`s Special Cell, which arrested Khosla on
April 16, had quizzed him for two days.
On April 19, he was sent to judicial custody after the
investigators did not seek further police custody of Khosla, a
resident of Amritsar in Punjab.
According to the police, the accused used the documents
of a gym instructor Manick Verma to procure the SIM cards and
sent text messages with an aim to cause trouble to the latter
with whom he had a personal rivalry.
The accused was allegedly angry with Verma for having an
affair with a woman in whom he was also interested.
Khosla`s employee Rohit, 22, who was also arrested in
the case, has already been sent to judicial custody by the CMM
till April 30.
A total of five cases have been registered against Khosla
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing