Three CWG scam accused denied anticipatory bail
New Delhi: The Delhi High Court on Tuesday dismissed the anticipatory bail plea of three promoters of private companies who are accused of being involved in financial irregularities ahead of the Commonwealth Games and are on the run.
The three are Anil Kumar Madan and Purushottam Dev Arya of Faridabad-based Gem International and Hyderabad-based entrepreneur A Krishna Reddy linked to AKR Constructions.
"All the three applications are dismissed," said Justice Mukta Gupta, adding that at this stage it was not fit to give them relief.
Madan approached the court for anticipatory bail on the ground that he was old, infirm and a handicapped person suffering from life-threatening ailments.
"In January, he lost vision in his left eye because of retinal detachment and retinal detachment in the other eye is in progress," said his application, adding that he also suffered from severe heart ailments.
In its first chargesheet, the CBI said Madan and Arya, the authorised Indian representatives of Swiss Timing, which was fraudulently awarded the contract for the timing, scoring and result (TSR) equipment, were personally known to former CWG Organising Committee (OC) chairman Suresh Kalmadi long before the sporting event.
The chargesheet had named Kalmadi, who is now in jail, and 10 others.
The charge against Reddy`s firm was that it raised fictitious bills amounting to Rs 13 crore for works worth Rs 3 crore.
The CBI said Gem International even obliged Kalmadi as early as October 16, 2008, by going out of the way to make a significant payment on his asking.
"Call records show that there were telephonic contacts between them as early as February 2009," the CBI said.
Swiss Timing had been engaged for providing some components of TSR services during the 2008 Commonwealth Youth Games held in Pune, when Kalmadi came in contact with Arya and Madan and other representatives of the Swiss firm.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India successfully test fires futuristic Scramjet Rocket Engine
- Modi govt plans Rs 2,000 crore package for refugees from PoK
- Watch: Baloch, Sindhi leaders hold joint protest against CPEC in London
- India in Olympics: PM Modi forms task force to improve Indian sports
- Watch: President confers Khel Ratna to PV Sindhu, Sakshi, Dipa and Jitu Rai
- When Kareena Kapoor Khan got 'emotional' while walking Lakme Fashion Week runway
- Two dead, 41 hurt in bus crash involving Louisiana flood-relief volunteers
- Three accused of 2009 Sri Lanka cricket team attack killed, claims Pakistan
- Heart failure among the aged may triple by 2060
- Shahid Kapoor holding his newly born daughter is the cutest thing you will see today! – Pic inside