Three die due to cold in UP as winter firms its grip on north
New Delhi: Three persons have died due to
the cold in Uttar Pradesh as the winter firmed its grip on the
northern region with the mercury dropping by up to six degrees
in Punjab and Haryana and staying below zero in the upper
Official sources said three persons died due to the
cold in Ghazipur district of the state, where temperatures
Meerut, which recorded a minimum temperature of 2.9
degree celsius was the coldest place in the state. Lucknow saw
the mercury settle at 4.5 degrees, two notches below normal.
Amritsar in Punjab was the coldest in the plains at a
near freezing 0.2 degree celsius, four marks below normal,
followed closely by Rohtak in Haryana at 0.3 degrees, the Met
office said. Ambala also had a cold night at 1.3 degrees, six
notches below normal.
Dense fog also engulfed many parts in Punjab and
Haryana this morning, affecting normal life as visibility
dropped considerably at Ambala, Kurukshetra, Bathinda,
Gurdaspur and Patiala among others.
The winter chill also deepened further in Rajasthan,
where the hill station of Mount Abu was the coldest at 0.6
degrees, a dip from yesterday`s 1.4 degrees, the Met office
said. Ganganagar and Churu shivered at 5 and 5.4 degrees
respectively, while capital Jaipur had a low of 13 degrees.
The national capital also continued to reel under a
cold wave as icy winds blew across the city and the low
settled at 5.5 degrees.
In Jammu and Kashmir, Pahalgam continued to be coldest
in the valley at a low of minus 4.9 followed by Kupwara at
minus 4.1 degrees, Qazigund at minus four degrees and Srinagar
at minus 3.7 degrees.
Jammu recorded a low of 6 degrees while the mercury
settled at 0.4 degrees in Bhaderwah and 2.8 degrees in Batote,
the Met office said.
It was a chilly day in Himachal Pradesh as icy winds
swept across the lower hills while the upper reaches reeled
under sub-zero temperatures.
Keylong, the headquarters of Lahaul-Spiti district,
was the coldest at minus 11 degrees while Kalpa in Kinnaur
district registered a night temperature of minus 4 degrees.
The low in the Queen of the Hills was 2.7 degrees, the
Met department said.
In Uttarakhand, minimum temperatures ranged between
five and six degrees. In capital Dehradun, the minimum was
recorded at six degrees.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar stands in a queue at Pune wedding!
- India's second deadliest heatwave kills more than 2000 people
- Jamaat-e-Islami chief announces Rs 100 cr reward for PM Modi's arrest
- DNA: Captain Saurabh Kalia's torture at the hands of Pakistani Army
- DNA: Govt tests Maggi noodle samples from all states
- Check CHSE orrisharesults.nic.in, chseodisha.nic.in for Class 12 (Plus Two) Result 2015
- Will ask SC if India can pursue Captain Saurabh Kalia case against Pakistan in ICJ: Sushma Swaraj
- Salman, Aamir, Shah Rukh in a film together?
- Assam Board (seba.net.in & resultsassam.nic.in): SEBA HSLC / AHM class 10th Results 2015 to be announced today
- Anti-minority remarks by Sangh Parivar leaders 'uncalled for': Narendra Modi