Three militants killed in J&K encounter
Srinagar: Three militants were killed
and two security forces personnel injured on Friday in an
encounter in Lolab in Kupwara district in Jammu and Kashmir,
officials said here.
Three militants have been killed so far. The operation
is still in progress, a senior police official said.
Troops of 18 Rashtriya Rifles of the Army and special
operations group of local police launched a search-cum-cordon
operation in Maidanpora village in Lolab, 120 kms from here,
in the wee hours today following information about presence of
foreign militants, sources said.
There was no exchange of firing between the two sides
as security forces wanted to ensure that all civilians are out
of the building before start of an offensive.
While the menfolk had come out of the house soon after
the security forces laid the cordon, the wife of the house
owner and his daughter were trapped inside for more than an
hour, the sources said.
The girl came out first from the house followed by her
mother half-an-hour later, they said.
As the woman came out to safety, the sources said,
security forces began engaging the militants.
Two security force personnel have been injured so far
in the gun battle which was going on till reports last came
in, they added.
According to inmates of the house, five militants
including a top commander of Lashkar-e-Toiba, were holed up in
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Is Pakistan terrified of Yogi Adityanath as Uttar Pradesh CM?
- Ayodhya dispute: SC asks parties to solve matter amicably, offers mediation
- Should Ram Mandir issue be resolved through mutual understanding?
- Jharkhand: Congress leader, 3 others killed in shootout in Dhanbad
- This fiery speech by Yogi Adityanath in Parliament on communal riots is setting internet on fire - MUST WATCH
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister
- Team Yogi Adityanath: List of Yogi's ministers with their portfolios - Check who got what
- MP student proposes Congress VP Rahul Gandhi's name to Guinness Book for losing maximum elections