Three militants killed in J&K encounter
Srinagar: Three militants were killed
and two security forces personnel injured on Friday in an
encounter in Lolab in Kupwara district in Jammu and Kashmir,
officials said here.
Three militants have been killed so far. The operation
is still in progress, a senior police official said.
Troops of 18 Rashtriya Rifles of the Army and special
operations group of local police launched a search-cum-cordon
operation in Maidanpora village in Lolab, 120 kms from here,
in the wee hours today following information about presence of
foreign militants, sources said.
There was no exchange of firing between the two sides
as security forces wanted to ensure that all civilians are out
of the building before start of an offensive.
While the menfolk had come out of the house soon after
the security forces laid the cordon, the wife of the house
owner and his daughter were trapped inside for more than an
hour, the sources said.
The girl came out first from the house followed by her
mother half-an-hour later, they said.
As the woman came out to safety, the sources said,
security forces began engaging the militants.
Two security force personnel have been injured so far
in the gun battle which was going on till reports last came
in, they added.
According to inmates of the house, five militants
including a top commander of Lashkar-e-Toiba, were holed up in
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Letter to Arvind Kejriwal - `Don't embarrass India again, buy yourself a pair of shoes`
- When a professor sexually abused a girl in classroom; watch other students' reaction
- Indian woman rescued from German refugee camp returns home, thanks government
- Signs that prove Lord Hanuman is still alive
- Will wipe out BJP and Congress from the country: Akbaruddin Owaisi