Three Tibetans detained
New Delhi: Three Tibetan activists were detained Wednesday when they were going towards Qutab Minar to protest against Chinese Defence Minister Gen Liang Guanglie`s visit.
Police detained three persons from the Mehrauli bus stand, a senior police official said.
The protesters shouted slogans, unfurled Tibetan flags and called for India`s support and global intervention in securing freedom for their homeland.
"As the world`s largest democracy with history of struggle based on Mahatma Gandhi`s principles of non-violence and non-cooperation, India has a moral obligation to stand in solidarity with the Tibetan people`s non-violent struggle for freedom," Dorjee Tsetan, National Director of Students for a Free Tibet-India, said in a statement.
Meanwhile, Indian members of Students for a Free Tibet launched an online petition addressed to External Affairs Minister S M Krishna urging him to make a strong statement "condemning China`s crackdown in Tibet" and calling for a multilateral forum to resolve the crisis.
Organisers said the petition will be delivered to him on October 2.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- Fateh Ka Fatwa: Is it time to introduce reforms in Muslim laws?
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's speech at Gorakhnath temple
- BJP MLA Vikram Saini accused of voicing controversial statement
- Yogi Adityanath to visit Gorakhpur for first time today after becoming UP CM
- Is this for real: Ajinkya Rahane bizarre shot went for six, concerned Virat Kohli settles with smile — WATCH
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- WATCH: Tom Latham takes IMPOSSIBLE catch to dismiss Faf du Plessis
- Mohanlal's 'Manyam Puli' has a BREATHTAKING scene where TIGER attacks a boy! WATCH 'Pulimurugan' clip
- Kapil Sharma-Sunil Grover fight: Will it be a shutdown for 'The Kapil Sharma Show'?