Three Tibetans detained
New Delhi: Three Tibetan activists were detained Wednesday when they were going towards Qutab Minar to protest against Chinese Defence Minister Gen Liang Guanglie`s visit.
Police detained three persons from the Mehrauli bus stand, a senior police official said.
The protesters shouted slogans, unfurled Tibetan flags and called for India`s support and global intervention in securing freedom for their homeland.
"As the world`s largest democracy with history of struggle based on Mahatma Gandhi`s principles of non-violence and non-cooperation, India has a moral obligation to stand in solidarity with the Tibetan people`s non-violent struggle for freedom," Dorjee Tsetan, National Director of Students for a Free Tibet-India, said in a statement.
Meanwhile, Indian members of Students for a Free Tibet launched an online petition addressed to External Affairs Minister S M Krishna urging him to make a strong statement "condemning China`s crackdown in Tibet" and calling for a multilateral forum to resolve the crisis.
Organisers said the petition will be delivered to him on October 2.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Fresh plea in SC against triple talaq system
- Consumers will be compensated for unscheduled power cuts: Delhi CM Kejriwal
- Shocking! Man dies performing stunt in moving train in Mumbai
- China planning to stretch its Nepal rail link to Bihar: Report
- National child helpline number '1098' now launched in 25 languages!
- Mbose.in 10th SSLC Results 2016: Megresults.nic.in Meghalaya Board SSLC Class 10th exam results 2016 to be announced shortly
- She's a bae! Priyanka Chopra to get special poster for 'Baywatch'
- Foreign Investors buoyed by Indian investment: USIBC to Obama
- Check Mahresults.nic.in & hscresult.mkcl.org for class 12th HSC Results 2016 Maharashtra Board, MSBSHSE today at 1 PM
- Pinarayi Vijayan to swear-in as Kerala CM today, says people have high hopes of us