Three-tier security for Kerala temple treasure
New Delhi: In the wake of a humungous pile of wealth amounting to over Rs 1 lakh crore being extracted from the Padmanabhaswamy temple in Kerala, the focus of the authorities has now shifted to the security in and around the temple.
Taking into consideration the massive amount of wealth being unearthed, the state police have decided to put in place a three-tier security for the shrine. Additional Director General of Police Venugopal K Nair, who has been given charge of the temple security, told a newspaper, "We have only begun the process. A detailed plan will be put in place soon."
At present, two platoons of special armed police have been deployed for the shrine`s security.
Kerala Chief Minister Oommen Chandy, after a meeting with police officers regarding the temple`s security, told a newspaper, "From tonight (Sunday), a 24-hour special police control room has been opened at the Fort Police station. Round-the-clock mobile patrolling would be started and permanent security arrangements would also be provided."
Amid conflicting opinions about future management of the treasure-trove found at the temple, Chandy said today that the wealth would remain with the temple.
Chandy added that when a permanent security cover is set up, it would be done by taking into confidence the head of the erstwhile royal family of Travancore.
City Police Commissioner Manoj Abraham added that additional 80 personnel of the special armed police (SAP) will be posted at the temple.
A Supreme Court appointed committee has opened six chambers in the Sri Padmanabha Swamy temple and is making an inventory of the stock.
The chambers had not been opened for a variety of reasons since 1950, and the SC, on a petition that this be done in national interest, had so ordered earlier.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena murder: Trio to be taken to Raigad to re-construct crime scene
- Mikhail emailed sister Sheena Bora's resignation letter: Report
- Raksha Bandhan: Sushma Swaraj ties Rakhi to Venkaiah Naidu
- Shiv Sena announces award of 2 lakh for Hindu families with 5 kids
- Watch: Wife catches husband with his girlfriend at Goa Airport
- Women's hockey team seals Olympic spot after 36 years, creates history on Dhyan Chand's birthday
- Sushma Swaraj ties rakhi to M Venkaiah Naidu
- Know box-office report of Saif-Katrina's 'Phantom'
- Indrani Mukerjea's son Mikhail emailed Sheena Bora's resignation letter
- Ten interesting facts about hockey legend Dhyan Chand