Three-tier security for Kerala temple treasure
New Delhi: In the wake of a humungous pile of wealth amounting to over Rs 1 lakh crore being extracted from the Padmanabhaswamy temple in Kerala, the focus of the authorities has now shifted to the security in and around the temple.
Taking into consideration the massive amount of wealth being unearthed, the state police have decided to put in place a three-tier security for the shrine. Additional Director General of Police Venugopal K Nair, who has been given charge of the temple security, told a newspaper, "We have only begun the process. A detailed plan will be put in place soon."
At present, two platoons of special armed police have been deployed for the shrine`s security.
Kerala Chief Minister Oommen Chandy, after a meeting with police officers regarding the temple`s security, told a newspaper, "From tonight (Sunday), a 24-hour special police control room has been opened at the Fort Police station. Round-the-clock mobile patrolling would be started and permanent security arrangements would also be provided."
Amid conflicting opinions about future management of the treasure-trove found at the temple, Chandy said today that the wealth would remain with the temple.
Chandy added that when a permanent security cover is set up, it would be done by taking into confidence the head of the erstwhile royal family of Travancore.
City Police Commissioner Manoj Abraham added that additional 80 personnel of the special armed police (SAP) will be posted at the temple.
A Supreme Court appointed committee has opened six chambers in the Sri Padmanabha Swamy temple and is making an inventory of the stock.
The chambers had not been opened for a variety of reasons since 1950, and the SC, on a petition that this be done in national interest, had so ordered earlier.
For more news in Malayalam, click www.zeemalayalam.com
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Curfew lifted from 4 districts of Kashmir valley
- Recently launched Pokemon Go gaining extreme popularity among users
- Rajnath Singh meets J&K CM Mehbooba Mufti to discuss current situation in valley
- AAP MLA Amantulla Khan arrested for misbehaving with a woman
- Fight for respect towards Dalits in UP merely a vote-garnering strategy?
- India, US solar case: WTO appellate body's ruling in mid-Sept
- Gal Gadot plays the new DC superhero- 'Wonder Woman'! Watch trailer
- IMF flags decelerating pace of reforms in India; lists six areas for further reforms
- Black with a hint of gold, Sonam Kapoor's debonair suit will win your heart!
- Are you daring enough to visit THIS spooky 'Island of the Dolls'?