Three-tier security for Kerala temple treasure
New Delhi: In the wake of a humungous pile of wealth amounting to over Rs 1 lakh crore being extracted from the Padmanabhaswamy temple in Kerala, the focus of the authorities has now shifted to the security in and around the temple.
Taking into consideration the massive amount of wealth being unearthed, the state police have decided to put in place a three-tier security for the shrine. Additional Director General of Police Venugopal K Nair, who has been given charge of the temple security, told a newspaper, "We have only begun the process. A detailed plan will be put in place soon."
At present, two platoons of special armed police have been deployed for the shrine`s security.
Kerala Chief Minister Oommen Chandy, after a meeting with police officers regarding the temple`s security, told a newspaper, "From tonight (Sunday), a 24-hour special police control room has been opened at the Fort Police station. Round-the-clock mobile patrolling would be started and permanent security arrangements would also be provided."
Amid conflicting opinions about future management of the treasure-trove found at the temple, Chandy said today that the wealth would remain with the temple.
Chandy added that when a permanent security cover is set up, it would be done by taking into confidence the head of the erstwhile royal family of Travancore.
City Police Commissioner Manoj Abraham added that additional 80 personnel of the special armed police (SAP) will be posted at the temple.
A Supreme Court appointed committee has opened six chambers in the Sri Padmanabha Swamy temple and is making an inventory of the stock.
The chambers had not been opened for a variety of reasons since 1950, and the SC, on a petition that this be done in national interest, had so ordered earlier.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Fresh plea in SC against triple talaq system
- Consumers will be compensated for unscheduled power cuts: Delhi CM Kejriwal
- Shocking! Man dies performing stunt in moving train in Mumbai
- China planning to stretch its Nepal rail link to Bihar: Report
- National child helpline number '1098' now launched in 25 languages!
- Biharboard.ac.in & biharboard.bih.nic.in BSEB 12th Inter Arts Results 2016: Bihar Board Class 12 XII Intermediate Arts Results 2016 to be announced today on 25th May, 2016 at 3 PM
- Mbose.in HSSLC 12th Results 2016: Meghalaya Board (megresults.nic.in) class 12th HSSLC Arts exam results 2016, MBOSE to be declared today on May 25 at 10 AM
- Uttarakhand board Class 10th results 2016 to be declared today on May 25, 2016 at 11 AM
- Goa GBSHSE SSC Class 10th Results 2016 to be declared today May 25, 2016 at 3 PM
- Uttarakhand board Class 12th results 2016 to be declared today on May 25, 2016 at 11 AM