Tibetan monk under ED lens
New Delhi: Enforcement Directorate has seized properties worth Rs 1.68 crore acquired by a Tibetan monk here allegedly in contravention of money laundering laws, and launched a probe against him.
ED sources said three properties with recorded purchase value of Rs 1.68 crore in the national capital have been attached under Prevention of Money Laundering Act (PMLA) which were acquired by Karma Lobsang Bhutia, also known as 10th Bo Gankar Rinpoche of Karma Kagyu sect.
The current market value of these properties could be much higher, they said.
The ED`s Delhi Zonal unit is investigating a case under Foreign Exchange Management Act (FEMA) and PMLA involving alleged fraudulent financial activities by the monk.
Himachal Pradesh Police had arrested the monk earlier, and incriminating material were recovered and seized from his premises at Joginder Nagar in Mandi district, they said.
Bhutia, who is in mid-30s, during 2009 was arrested by Delhi Police, for having a Nepalese passport in addition to a valid Indian passport, the sources said. He is facing a trial in the case.
ED officials so far has found that the religious leader has been allegedly operating a number of accounts in the names of his various disciples and also purchased properties in Delhi, in his own name as also in the name of his disciples, they said.
He was also allegedly found to be utilising funds amassed by him from his foreign disciples after visiting various countries, they claimed.
They said the probe is still in progress for locating and attachment of other such assets of the monk.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: APJ Abdul Kalam's last journey, India bids a tearful adieu
- DNA : Justice delivered; India hangs 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon
- Exclusive interview with Usman Majid, MLA, J&K Congress
- Four Indians kidnapped in Libya; Islamic State hand suspected
- Parties should be united against terrorism, says Rajnath Singh
- Why did you choose Smriti Irani as HRD minister? Congress leader asks PM Narendra Modi
- Yakub Memon: The two men who lead police to 'House of Memons'
- Watch video: The epic battle between 'Machli' tigress and a 14-foot-long crocodile!
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror
- Cristiano Ronaldo great, but Lionel Messi is greatest: Xavi Hernandez