Tibetans protest Wen visit: 6 detained outside Taj
New Delhi: Six Tibetans were on Wednesday detained
as they staged a demonstration outside Taj Palace Hotel, where
Chinese Premier Wen Jiabao is staying, while a large group of
people marched through the streets in the capital to protest
against his visit.
The six young protesters shouted slogans against Wen
and China outside the hotel on Sardar Patel Marg and demanded
that the communist nation "vacate their homeland".
"We protested outside the hotel telling Wen Jiabao that
Tibet does not belong to him and China should vacate it," said
Tenzin Norsang, who was among the six youths who were detained
and taken to Chanakyapuri Police Station.
A large group of Tibetans marched from Rajghat, the
memorial of Mahatma Gandhi, to Jantar Mantar where they held a
Chanting anti-China slogans and waving Tibetan flags,
the protesters demanded that China leave Tibet. They carried
placards which read `Free Tibet Wen, Free Tibet Now`.
A seminar was also held in the capital on "Rethinking
India`s Sino-Tibet Policy".
"At a time when bilateral China-India relation is
hitting an all-time low and there are concerted efforts from
both sides to salvage the ties and strengthen relations, it is
of paramount importance for both the Asian giants to address
the Tibet issue which is the core issue," said Kirti Dolkar
Lhamo, president of Tibetan Women`s Association.
Police have stepped up security outside Chinese embassy
and the hotel where Wen is staying to ensure that protests do
not mar his visit.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indrani 'slow-poisoned' Sheena, wanted to portray Mikhail as 'mentally unstable'?
- People have no faith left in Modi government: Sonia Gandhi at Swabhiman rally
- Lashkar-e-Toiba plotting 26/11-style attack in India with the help of Pak Navy, ISI?
- Radhe Maa approached to be a part of Bigg Boss 9?
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, 'sex sites' planted as following
- Satire website publishes article on Osama bin Laden being alive and quotes Edward Snowden
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter
- Sheena Bora murder case: 'Indrani Mukerjea's father thrashed her with belt'
- Sheena murder: Suitcase seized from Indrani, Peter's residence meant for disposing Mikhail's body?
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, sex sites planted as 'following'