Tibetans stage protest against Chinese President
New Delhi: Eleven Tibetan activists on Friday staged a protest near Oberoi Hotel here against Chinese
President Hu Jintao, who was leaving India after attending the
The protesters led by Dorjee Tsetan, National Director of
Students for a Free Tibet-India, were detained by police as
they jumped out of a bus and started shouting slogans against
The activists had painted slogans across their chest
such as `Swaraj My Birth Right` and `Free Tibet`.
The protest was fourth in a series by Students for a Free
Tibet (SFT) India.
It took place about an hour before Hu Jintao was to leave
for Cambodia after the BRICS Summit.
"Just as the Indians successfully threw off the chains of
British rule, we Tibetans are protesting here today for the
freedom of our homeland from China`s colonial oppression,"
"The dignified mantra of the Indian independence movement
`swaraj is my birth right` rings true for us as we struggle to
achieve the right to Tibetan self-rule," he said.
Tibetans were protesting against Hu Jintao`s visit to
Delhi as part of the struggle for freedom for their homeland.
A group of Tibetans protesters were detained yesterday
from near Taj Palace Hotel where Hu Jintao was attending the
Around 10 Tibetan activists unfurled the flag on a
foot-over-bridge on San Martin Jose Road, less than a
kilometre from Taj Palace where Hu Jintao was attending the
summit along with Prime Minister Manmohan Singh and others.
Day before yesterday, a group of Tibetans attempted to
storm the Oberoi Hotel.
A 27-year-old Tibetan died here two days ago after
setting himself ablaze during a protest against Hu Jintao.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- Mathura rally: PM Modi's ten power-packed dialogues
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- CBSE Class X Board Results 2015 to declared tomorrow
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in