Tibetans stage protest against Chinese President
New Delhi: Eleven Tibetan activists on Friday staged a protest near Oberoi Hotel here against Chinese
President Hu Jintao, who was leaving India after attending the
The protesters led by Dorjee Tsetan, National Director of
Students for a Free Tibet-India, were detained by police as
they jumped out of a bus and started shouting slogans against
The activists had painted slogans across their chest
such as `Swaraj My Birth Right` and `Free Tibet`.
The protest was fourth in a series by Students for a Free
Tibet (SFT) India.
It took place about an hour before Hu Jintao was to leave
for Cambodia after the BRICS Summit.
"Just as the Indians successfully threw off the chains of
British rule, we Tibetans are protesting here today for the
freedom of our homeland from China`s colonial oppression,"
"The dignified mantra of the Indian independence movement
`swaraj is my birth right` rings true for us as we struggle to
achieve the right to Tibetan self-rule," he said.
Tibetans were protesting against Hu Jintao`s visit to
Delhi as part of the struggle for freedom for their homeland.
A group of Tibetans protesters were detained yesterday
from near Taj Palace Hotel where Hu Jintao was attending the
Around 10 Tibetan activists unfurled the flag on a
foot-over-bridge on San Martin Jose Road, less than a
kilometre from Taj Palace where Hu Jintao was attending the
summit along with Prime Minister Manmohan Singh and others.
Day before yesterday, a group of Tibetans attempted to
storm the Oberoi Hotel.
A 27-year-old Tibetan died here two days ago after
setting himself ablaze during a protest against Hu Jintao.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to expand your existing business
- Entire Indian force can't defend Kashmir from terrorists, says Farooq Abdullah
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- UP: DM B Chandrakala participates in anti-riots drill in Bulandshahr
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Woman cop transferred within 24 hours of spat with Haryana minister Anil Vij
- Sheena Bora murder: Why did Indrani send servant to Kolkata to get illegal drugs?
- Women fit only to deliver children, gender equality un-islamic: Kerala Muslim leader
- Russian MP dies while ‘having sex’ inside car - Read
- Modi govt 'promoting Brahmanism' in the name of 'Hindu Rashtravad': Arundhati Roy