Tibetans stage protest against Chinese President
New Delhi: Eleven Tibetan activists on Friday staged a protest near Oberoi Hotel here against Chinese
President Hu Jintao, who was leaving India after attending the
The protesters led by Dorjee Tsetan, National Director of
Students for a Free Tibet-India, were detained by police as
they jumped out of a bus and started shouting slogans against
The activists had painted slogans across their chest
such as `Swaraj My Birth Right` and `Free Tibet`.
The protest was fourth in a series by Students for a Free
Tibet (SFT) India.
It took place about an hour before Hu Jintao was to leave
for Cambodia after the BRICS Summit.
"Just as the Indians successfully threw off the chains of
British rule, we Tibetans are protesting here today for the
freedom of our homeland from China`s colonial oppression,"
"The dignified mantra of the Indian independence movement
`swaraj is my birth right` rings true for us as we struggle to
achieve the right to Tibetan self-rule," he said.
Tibetans were protesting against Hu Jintao`s visit to
Delhi as part of the struggle for freedom for their homeland.
A group of Tibetans protesters were detained yesterday
from near Taj Palace Hotel where Hu Jintao was attending the
Around 10 Tibetan activists unfurled the flag on a
foot-over-bridge on San Martin Jose Road, less than a
kilometre from Taj Palace where Hu Jintao was attending the
summit along with Prime Minister Manmohan Singh and others.
Day before yesterday, a group of Tibetans attempted to
storm the Oberoi Hotel.
A 27-year-old Tibetan died here two days ago after
setting himself ablaze during a protest against Hu Jintao.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Congress workers blow up pigeons by blasting them inside rockets
- Beef row: Lalu Prasad Yadav contradicts his statements
- Lalu Yadav's son Tejasvi Yadav wants to change the face of Bihar education
- Indian Army 5th deadliest in the world: Report
- Indrani Mukerjea attains consciousness; is now out of danger
- Indrani Mukerjea regains consciousness, out of danger, says hospital
- Is Salman Khan - Aamir Khan friendship over?
- Dadri lynching case: Sadhvi Prachi makes provocative remark, says beef-eaters deserve such fate
- Modi must be punished, he has cheated people: Ram Jethmalani
- Was Giani Zail Singh planning to topple Rajiv Gandhi govt in 1987?