Tibetans try to storm hotel hosting Chinese Prez
New Delhi: A group of protesting Tibetans
today attempted to storm a five-star hotel where Chinese
president Hu Jintao is staying but were detained by police who
also picked up several other activists from the capital.
Eleven activists were picked up from near Oberoi Hotel
this afternoon while eight girls were prevented from
proceeding towards the facility where Hu Jintao, who is in
Delhi to attend BRICS summit, is staying.
Security cover around the hotel has been strengthened and
a senior police official said 15 companies of police have been
spread across the VVIP areas of the capital to thwart any
protest by Tibetans.
Several Tibetans were picked up from other parts of the
capital, including Jantar Mantar and Majnu ka Tila.
Police presence in Majnu ka Tila, a Tibetan colony, has
also been increased and Tibetans were not allowed to assemble
At RML hospital where a Tibetan protester, who set
himself ablaze two days ago, died this morning, police
tightened security at the RML facility.
"Who knows they might start a protest anywhere, so we
have been asked to stay on the alert all around the hospital
and inside, till the body is not released from the hospital,"
a policeman stationed at the hospital said.
A Tibetan who was waiting at the hospital said, "Many of
our fellow Tibetans who were assembled at the Jantar Mantar
for a prayer meeting for Yeshi were detained. I escaped and
"I saw policemen questioning those having features like
us assuming them to be Tibetans before entering the hospital
gates. The journalist of a web portal, Phayul.com, a website
that publishes news and views on Tibet has also been
detained," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Five unmanned parachute-like objects spotted over Mumbai airport
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Police registers case after parachute-like objects were spotted over Mumbai airport
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- Unidentified flying objects spotted over Mumbai airport not motorised: Home Department
- Militants kill five, target telecoms in Kashmir attacks
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- China doesn't recognise 'illegal' McMahon Line: Beijing responds to NSA Ajit Doval
- CBSE 10th Results 2015 to be declared on May 27