Tibetans try to storm hotel hosting Chinese Prez
New Delhi: A group of protesting Tibetans
today attempted to storm a five-star hotel where Chinese
president Hu Jintao is staying but were detained by police who
also picked up several other activists from the capital.
Eleven activists were picked up from near Oberoi Hotel
this afternoon while eight girls were prevented from
proceeding towards the facility where Hu Jintao, who is in
Delhi to attend BRICS summit, is staying.
Security cover around the hotel has been strengthened and
a senior police official said 15 companies of police have been
spread across the VVIP areas of the capital to thwart any
protest by Tibetans.
Several Tibetans were picked up from other parts of the
capital, including Jantar Mantar and Majnu ka Tila.
Police presence in Majnu ka Tila, a Tibetan colony, has
also been increased and Tibetans were not allowed to assemble
At RML hospital where a Tibetan protester, who set
himself ablaze two days ago, died this morning, police
tightened security at the RML facility.
"Who knows they might start a protest anywhere, so we
have been asked to stay on the alert all around the hospital
and inside, till the body is not released from the hospital,"
a policeman stationed at the hospital said.
A Tibetan who was waiting at the hospital said, "Many of
our fellow Tibetans who were assembled at the Jantar Mantar
for a prayer meeting for Yeshi were detained. I escaped and
"I saw policemen questioning those having features like
us assuming them to be Tibetans before entering the hospital
gates. The journalist of a web portal, Phayul.com, a website
that publishes news and views on Tibet has also been
detained," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- Barack Obama thanks Americans for making him a 'better man'
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened