Ties with China go beyond boundary question: Tharoor
Kochi: India has a "fundamentally healthy"
relationship with China which goes beyond the boundary issue,
Minister of State for External Affairs Shashi Tharoor said Tuesday.
"Relationship (Sino-India) should not be seen only in
the context of the problems, it should also be seen in the
context of the opportunity," he said when asked about the
just-concluded India-China border talks last week.
Tharoor said, "We are very pleased to say that, by and
large, even the fact of the border talks is confirmation that
the relationship remains fundamentally healthy."
The special representatives of India and China,
National Security Advisor MK Narayanan and Chinese State
Councillor Dai Bingguo held the 13th round of talks on the
vexed boundary issue in New Delhi on August 7.
Noting that China had recently become India`s single
largest trade partner, the minister said looking at the export
and import sector without the IT services, China has overtaken
Tharoor said there was an increase in the number of
tourists coming from China to India. "A large number of
tourist VISAs are issued to Chinese tourists to come to India.
They may be discovering India as an important tourist
Asked about the reports that Pakistan had claimed the
bodies of terrorists involved in the Mumbai attacks, Tharoor
said, "Apparently there was a denial of the reports. I cannot
comment on the press reports. Some press say yes and some say
no. Until I know the facts, I cannot comment."
On a question about the status of Sarabjit Singh, who
has been sentenced to death and is in a Pakistan jail, he said
"We have expressed publicly the hope that clemency will be
given by Pakistan purely on humanitarian and compassionate
ground and the matter is in the hands of Pakistani executive
"We hope that they (Pakistan) will act in a
humanitarian spirit," Tharoor said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Boyfriend murders DU student Arzu Singh; hides body in his house for three days
- International Fleet Review: India shows off naval prowess in "Operation Demo"
- Declared unfit for employment, man invents cost-effective electric car called Pixie!
- Can comments on social media against politicians land you in jail?
- Is Pakistan trying to divert India from issue of terrorism?
- India vs Sri Lanka 2016, 1st T20I: Squads, date, time, TV listing, live streaming
- SSC CGL 2016 exam dates out; read the eligibility criteria, registration details
- Bangladesh scraps China-proposed deep sea port, India offers help to develop another
- Deepika Padukone reads letter written by father – Watch - You will be moved to tears
- Watch video: Samajwadi Party leader's celebratory firing kills 10-year-old child in Shamli