Ties with China go beyond boundary question: Tharoor
Kochi: India has a "fundamentally healthy"
relationship with China which goes beyond the boundary issue,
Minister of State for External Affairs Shashi Tharoor said Tuesday.
"Relationship (Sino-India) should not be seen only in
the context of the problems, it should also be seen in the
context of the opportunity," he said when asked about the
just-concluded India-China border talks last week.
Tharoor said, "We are very pleased to say that, by and
large, even the fact of the border talks is confirmation that
the relationship remains fundamentally healthy."
The special representatives of India and China,
National Security Advisor MK Narayanan and Chinese State
Councillor Dai Bingguo held the 13th round of talks on the
vexed boundary issue in New Delhi on August 7.
Noting that China had recently become India`s single
largest trade partner, the minister said looking at the export
and import sector without the IT services, China has overtaken
Tharoor said there was an increase in the number of
tourists coming from China to India. "A large number of
tourist VISAs are issued to Chinese tourists to come to India.
They may be discovering India as an important tourist
Asked about the reports that Pakistan had claimed the
bodies of terrorists involved in the Mumbai attacks, Tharoor
said, "Apparently there was a denial of the reports. I cannot
comment on the press reports. Some press say yes and some say
no. Until I know the facts, I cannot comment."
On a question about the status of Sarabjit Singh, who
has been sentenced to death and is in a Pakistan jail, he said
"We have expressed publicly the hope that clemency will be
given by Pakistan purely on humanitarian and compassionate
ground and the matter is in the hands of Pakistani executive
"We hope that they (Pakistan) will act in a
humanitarian spirit," Tharoor said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Revealed - How Indian Army hit terror camps across LoC!
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- India used 'Cartosat 2c' satellite in surgical strikes against Pakistan
- Panel discussion on Hafiz Saeed's reaction after Indian Army surgical strikes
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- After threatening Zee News, Hafiz Saeed says PM Modi, Ajit Doval staged `surgical strike drama'
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read