Ties with Pak only in terror-free atmosphere: Rao
London: Underlining that India has worked to promote better ties with Pakistan, Foreign Secretary Nirupama Rao has said that the relations with Islamabad can
only grow in an atmosphere free of terror and violence.
"The trajectory of our relationship over the last few
decades has been distorted and adversely impacted by the
factor of cross-border terrorism," Rao told a large gathering
at the International Institute for Strategic Studies here.
Describing the recent talks with her Pakistani
counterpart Salman Bashir in Islamabad as "productive and
positive", she said, "A stable Pakistan which acts as a
bulwark against terrorism and extremism is in its own interest
and also in the interest of our region."
"We have consistently made efforts to go back to the
negotiating table to solve difficult issues. We have striven
to promote better relations with Pakistan. Naturally, such
relations can only grow in an atmosphere free of terror and
violence," she said yesterday.
Referring to China, Rao said: "We have consciously
practised a policy of engagement that has yielded positive
dividends. Although, there is an unresolved boundary question
which should be settled on mutually acceptable terms, we have
not held the rest of the relationship hostage to this complex
issue. We have also collaborated on a variety of multilateral
Speaking on `Key Priorities for India`s Foreign
Policy`, Rao said: "It is an amalgam of national interests,
our conviction that inclusive structures of dialogue and
cooperation to address the new dimensions of security threats
are necessary, that the institutions of global governance
including the United Nations should reflect current
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Moment of Kabul suicide blast caught on camera
- Devotees throng Lord Shiva temples to celebrate first Monday of 'Saawan'
- Railway Minister Suresh Prabhu launches India's first green rail corridor in Tamil Nadu
- UP: 8 children killed as train hits school mini-bus in Bhadohi
- Why is Sidhu evasive about joining AAP?
- China says South Korea damaged 'mutual trust'
- Susan Rice urges `candour and openness` on Beijing visit
- Would love to star in a Bollywood film: Rick Hoffman
- All is not well between Kareena Kapoor Khan and Deepika Padukone? – Know why
- UNBELIEVABLE! This visually-impaired Pakistani singer's voice will give you goosebumps - WATCH