Ties with RJD or JD(U) to be decided by Antony committee: Ahmad
Patna: AICC General Secretary Shakeel Ahmad on Saturday said any decision on forging ties either with RJD or JD(U) for the 2014 general elections would be taken up by a committee led by senior leader and union minister AK Antony.
"It will be decided by a party committee headed by Defence minister A K Antony at an appropriate time," Ahmad told reporters when asked of a future tie up with RJD or JD(U) in the next Lok Sabha elections.
Views of the new Congress in-charge of Bihar C P Joshi would also be taken, he said.
Congress had voted for Nitish Kumar in the confidence motion for defeating communal forces, Ahmad said.
Dismissing the claims of development by Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi, he said "the state ranks lower on all major indices of development which falsify the claims of development there."
"In per capita income, Gujarat ranks 10th among the states, in infrastructure 11th and in education the state figures at 14th place in the country," he said.
"The truth is that people do not want to marry their daughter in Saurashtra region of Gujarat as citizens have to walk 5 km to fetch water," he said.
Asked if growing closeness between Congress and Nitish
Kumar means the state getting special category status, the Congress leader said there was no political consideration in providing central assistance.
"The UPA government in fact provided Rs 59,000 crore to Gujarat for annual plan while they had asked for Rs 58,500 crore," Ahmad said.
In reply to a question on why the devastation in Uttarakhand was not declared a national calamity, Ahmad said "these are technical issue decided by the Centre together with the respective state."
He, however, said the UPA government was trying to provide all assistance to fight the natural calamity in the Himalayan state.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- TERI panel finds RK Pachauri guilty in sexual harassment case
- Rajasthan: High Court raps Chief Secy, DGP for failing to end Gujjar agitation
- Erstwhile Mysuru kingdom gets new king
- Priyanka, Ranveer talk about their film 'Dil Dhadakne Do'
- Former Bihar CM Jitan Ram Manjhi meets PM Modi
- Meet 92-year-old Phyllis Sues who dances toTango
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm
- GUJCET Results 2015 declared on gseb.org
- Centre moves SC against Delhi HC order on LG's powers; hearing on Friday
- Pakistan break Team India's long-standing ODI record at home soil
- Gujjar agitation: Centre sending additional forces to vacate rail tracks, say sources
- Rahul Gandhi takes another dig at NDA govt, says Manmohan gave lessons on economy to PM Modi
- Log on to cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in at 2 pm for Class 10th Result 2015
- Former Bihar CM Jitan Ram Manjhi meets PM Modi, triggers tie-up speculation
- Gujarat Board Results 2015: Gujarat Board HSC class 12th science results to be declared today at 9 AM on gseb.org
- WBCHSE (wbchse.nic.in & wbresults.nic.in): West Bengal Class 12th Result to be declared on May 29
- CBSE (cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in) Class 10th (X Board) Result 2015 declared
- Watch: Dance guru Prabhudheva's mind-blowing act in 'Happy Hour' from 'ABCD2'!