Ties with RJD or JD(U) to be decided by Antony committee: Ahmad
Patna: AICC General Secretary Shakeel Ahmad on Saturday said any decision on forging ties either with RJD or JD(U) for the 2014 general elections would be taken up by a committee led by senior leader and union minister AK Antony.
"It will be decided by a party committee headed by Defence minister A K Antony at an appropriate time," Ahmad told reporters when asked of a future tie up with RJD or JD(U) in the next Lok Sabha elections.
Views of the new Congress in-charge of Bihar C P Joshi would also be taken, he said.
Congress had voted for Nitish Kumar in the confidence motion for defeating communal forces, Ahmad said.
Dismissing the claims of development by Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi, he said "the state ranks lower on all major indices of development which falsify the claims of development there."
"In per capita income, Gujarat ranks 10th among the states, in infrastructure 11th and in education the state figures at 14th place in the country," he said.
"The truth is that people do not want to marry their daughter in Saurashtra region of Gujarat as citizens have to walk 5 km to fetch water," he said.
Asked if growing closeness between Congress and Nitish
Kumar means the state getting special category status, the Congress leader said there was no political consideration in providing central assistance.
"The UPA government in fact provided Rs 59,000 crore to Gujarat for annual plan while they had asked for Rs 58,500 crore," Ahmad said.
In reply to a question on why the devastation in Uttarakhand was not declared a national calamity, Ahmad said "these are technical issue decided by the Centre together with the respective state."
He, however, said the UPA government was trying to provide all assistance to fight the natural calamity in the Himalayan state.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan - Part II
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- Kapil Sharma renews contract, his latest fee will make your jaw drop!