Tiger death in MP: Ramesh seeks report from state
New Delhi: Perturbed by the death of a
tigress in Mashya Pradesh`s Bandhavgarh sanctuary, Environment
Minister Jairam Ramesh has sought a report from the Chief
"The minister has taken a serious note of the matter and
has asked Chief Minister Shivraj Chauhan to probe the case
thoroughly and send a report," a senior Environment official
He said MP Additional Principle Chief Conservator of
Forest (PCCF) Dharmendra Negi is investigating the case even
as various theories for death of the ten-year-old feline on
May 19 in the Tala Range of the reserve are doing rounds.
Meanwhile Reserve Field Director CK Patil has demanded a
CID or CBI inquiry into the incident. "Patil has written to
the State Chief Wildlife Warden RS Negi with such a request,"
the official said.
Earlier soon after the animal`s death, Patil had said
that "We are of the view that a tourist vehicle had hit the
tigress after which she died. But it needs investigation."
Madhya Pradesh Government has already suspended three
officials including an SDO and two range officers for alleged
Wildlife Expert Belinda Wright too demanded a thorough
probe. "We have information that the poor animal was hit
twice," she said.
The tigress` death, which left three cubs orphan, has
also put a question mark on the current tourism policy being
adopted across the country causing disturbance to the wildlife
particularly endangered animals like big cats.
Earlier, a tiger had died after being hit by a tourist
vehicle in Bandhavgarh in April 2009.
"Yes, there is a need to have regulated tourism in the
sanctuaries to avoid disturbance to the wildlife. We have been
sending advisory to the states but they are hardly been
implemented," Rajesh Gopal, Member Secretary National Tiger
Conservation Authority (NTCA) said.
Prime Minister Manmohan Singh had recently written to
several chief ministers asking for regulation of uncontrolled
tourism on the periphery of tiger reserves like the Corbett
Tiger Reserve in Uttarakhand.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Death toll climbs to over 1400 as intense heatwave continues in India