Tighten security at Buddhist shrines, says Centre
New Delhi: Hours after the multiple blasts at Mahabodhi temple complex in Bihar, the Centre on Sunday directed all states to ensure fool-proof security at Buddhist shrines and Tibetan settlements in the wake of the continuing violence between Rohingya Muslims and Buddhists in Myanmar.
In an advisory to all states with special emphasis on cities like Delhi, Mumbai, Kolkata, Ahmedabad, Chennai, Bangalore, Hyderabad and Pune, the Home Ministry said adequate security must be provided to Buddhist shrines, Buddhist places of worships and Tibetian settlements.
Citing recent intelligence inputs, the Ministry said radical terrorist groups were planning to target Buddhist installations, including Bodh Gaya, which was today rocked by serial blasts, injuring two monks.
This is perhaps the first time that the Centre has issued an advisory about possible violence in the wake of the clashes in Myanmar.
The Home Ministry advisory asked the states to gear up intelligence and security mechanism and personnel strength at police stations under whose jurisdiction there is a sizeable Buddhist population or Buddhist shrines are located.
According to the United Nations, nearly 250 people have been killed in Myanmar in religious violence over the past year and about 150,000 people have been displaced.
Meanwhile, officials sources said a security review meeting held in Bodh Gaya on July 2 between the monastry and the police had suggested several security measures and deployment of additional forces as security in the premises was found to be not adequate. However, it is not immediately clear whether security was stepped up.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar stands in a queue at Pune wedding!
- Jamaat-e-Islami chief announces Rs 100 cr reward for PM Modi's arrest
- India's second deadliest heatwave kills more than 2000 people
- DNA: Captain Saurabh Kalia's torture at the hands of Pakistani Army
- DNA: Govt tests Maggi noodle samples from all states
- Check CHSE orrisharesults.nic.in, chseodisha.nic.in for Class 12 (Plus Two) Result 2015
- Will ask SC if India can pursue Captain Saurabh Kalia case against Pakistan in ICJ: Sushma Swaraj
- Salman, Aamir, Shah Rukh in a film together?
- Assam Board (seba.net.in & resultsassam.nic.in): SEBA HSLC / AHM class 10th Results 2015 to be announced today
- Anti-minority remarks by Sangh Parivar leaders 'uncalled for': Narendra Modi