Time for a new beginning: Manmohan Singh in New Year message
New Delhi: The contents of the message assume significance considering the difficulties that the UPA government and Congress have gone through in the outgoing year.
Apparently seeking to put behind the trying times faced by his government and Congress party, Prime Minister Manmohan Singh today used the occasion of New Year to reflect upon "shortcomings and lapses" and said it is time to make a "new beginning" and take "corrective action".
Wishing the nation "peace, security, joy and prosperity" in 2014, he said, "It is a time of hope, a time to make a new beginning with resolve and confidence to achieve these goals." He said "as a nation, it is an occasion to unite and brace ourselves for the opportunities and challenges that lie ahead", in a message which could be seen in the context of upcoming Lok Sabha polls.
"The New Year is a time for each one of us to reflect upon the year gone by, the successes and achievements as well as the lapses and shortcomings. It provides an opportunity to reassess ourselves and to plan for the year ahead, taking corrective action and setting new goals," the Prime Minister said.
The contents of the message assume significance considering the difficulties that the UPA government and Congress have gone through in the outgoing year.
It has been under pressure over allegations of corruption while facing criticism on price rise and slowdown in economic growth.
The drubbing Congress faced in the recently-held assembly elections in Delhi, Madhya Pradesh, Rajasthan and Chhattisgarh have added to its woes.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Iraqi army inches close to Baghdadi in Mosul- Report
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video
- Gujarat man who disclosed Rs 14,000 crore unaccounted wealth goes missing
- RBI to issue new Rs 20, Rs 50 notes; old notes to remain legal tender
- Rahul Dravid heaps praise on Virat Kohli, R Ashwin; calls duo modern cricket legends