Time for a political alternative: Anna Hazare
New Delhi: With signs of his anti-corruption crusade losing steam, Anna Hazare on Friday expressed his openness to joining politics, if people of the country want him to.
Anna said he is not interested in politics but will come forward to give a political alternative to the people of the country.
In an interview to a news channel, the Gandhian said that he will extend his support to anyone who launches a political party to fight corruption; he further opined that people are ready for an honest candidate.
While admitting that people’s enthusiasm for the anti-corruption movement is showing signs of waning, Anna said that people are asking him to move ahead of fasts and protests and give an alternative.
Anna said no political party, be it the Congress, the BJP or the Left, appear to be serious about tackling corruption and hence “it is time to give them a political alternative”.
He also dismissed suggestions that the movement is losing direction. Anna said the principle focus is still the Lokpal Bill and the only reason they are demanding a SIT to probe corruption charges against 15 union ministers is because, they believe, the Lokpal Bill can’t be passed until they are in the government.
Anna’s comments on the third day of an indefinite fast by Team Anna members Arvind Kejriwal, Manish Sisodia and Gopal Rai.
The government has, so far, refused to budge and stressed that multiple steps have been taken to tackle corruption.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- WBBSE 10th Madhyamik Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015 to be announced on May 22
- Don't know what will happen to my career, says Ranbir Kapoor
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- Manohar Parrikar meets troops at Siachen base camp
- Wbbse.org 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th, WB MP Results 2015 to be announced today shortly
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- British tourist masturbated at in Mumbai; Indian men apologise
- West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha (MP) Results 2015 to be announced today at 10 AM
- After land bill, net neutrality, Rahul Gandhi to fight for ex-servicemen now