Time for a political alternative: Anna Hazare
New Delhi: With signs of his anti-corruption crusade losing steam, Anna Hazare on Friday expressed his openness to joining politics, if people of the country want him to.
Anna said he is not interested in politics but will come forward to give a political alternative to the people of the country.
In an interview to a news channel, the Gandhian said that he will extend his support to anyone who launches a political party to fight corruption; he further opined that people are ready for an honest candidate.
While admitting that people’s enthusiasm for the anti-corruption movement is showing signs of waning, Anna said that people are asking him to move ahead of fasts and protests and give an alternative.
Anna said no political party, be it the Congress, the BJP or the Left, appear to be serious about tackling corruption and hence “it is time to give them a political alternative”.
He also dismissed suggestions that the movement is losing direction. Anna said the principle focus is still the Lokpal Bill and the only reason they are demanding a SIT to probe corruption charges against 15 union ministers is because, they believe, the Lokpal Bill can’t be passed until they are in the government.
Anna’s comments on the third day of an indefinite fast by Team Anna members Arvind Kejriwal, Manish Sisodia and Gopal Rai.
The government has, so far, refused to budge and stressed that multiple steps have been taken to tackle corruption.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Discussion over BJP's enormous victory in Maharashtra civic polls
- UP polls: Top 5 highlights of PM Modi's speech in Bahraich
- BMC elections 2017: Who will be the Mayor of Mumbai?
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- NASA discovers seven Earth-like planets orbiting a single star
- Reliance Jio Vs Airtel free data plan: A comparison
- BMC election 2017 results: As it happened
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017: As it happened on Thursday
- WATCH: When Matthew Renshaw left everybody surprised by 'retiring ill' on Day 1 of India-England Test
- World's heaviest woman loses 50 kilos in just 12 days