Time for govt to `loosen` economic control over states
Chennai: Observing that political power has become `fragmented`, Rajya Sabha MP NK Singh has said it was time for Congress-led UPA to "loosen" its economic control over the states.
"..Budget is not a panacea to develop the nation`s economy.. Should we not, after so many years of Independence, begin to forget what happens in Delhi and begin to see what happens in Patna, Chennai, Bhubaneshwar, or Mumbai?", Singh said, delivering his lecture on `Budget 2012`, organised by Rajaji Institute of Public Affairs here last night.
"If the central government continues to exercise (its power) on state governments` -- what schemes you should do, how should you fund it... It is time they loosen this (stand) and give up this excessive economic control over states."
Singh, who belongs to JD(U), said one should not forget that about 120 centrally sponsored schemes were being taken up.
"Where is the money for the schemes coming from?.. they have come from taking money what are normally entitled for states` and putting them in the central government`s kitty", he said.
Noting that the issue on Centre-State relations was taking `centre-stage` (in the recent past), he said, "there are too many conflicts which are taking place there (on centre-state relations).”
Finance Minister Pranab Mukherjee had informed him that an Inter-State economic forum, to be headed by him (Mukherjee) would be set up to address the issue, Singh said.
The forum would consist of various chief ministers` so that economic issues concerning states can be discussed with the Centre, he said.
He flayed the Union Budget, saying the Centre had given the people promises and hopes "without crafting underpinnings of that hope...they have created expectations without any coherence of how those expectations are to be met.."
".. In some ways we are at cross-roads. As far as Indian economy is concerned, growth has stagnated. Politics look uncertain and future looks fragile", he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Call up this number and get Reliance Jio's SIM for sure
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray