Time for Left parties to realise their position: Congress
New Delhi: The Left parties must understand that they cannot do anything on their own as they are not in a deciding position and realise that they cannot go with the BJP, Congress said today.
Party spokesman P C Chacko told reporters that despite the Congress working together with the Left parties in the UPA-I, they had "wanted to sabotage" government`s efforts in the Indo-US civil nuclear deal.
Chacko said the Left parties should change their behaviour if they realised that they cannot go with BJP and see the opposition party as a "bigger enemy".
Suggesting that the Left parties are a marginalised political force, he said they must understand that "they cannot do anything on their own as they are not in a deciding position and that they should realise that they cannot find friendship in the other camp."
He was replying to a media question that whether Rahul Gandhi`s anti-Left assertions in the Tripura election campaign meant that the Congress was denying the role played by the Left parties at the national level.
During the poll campaigning yesterday, Rahul said Congress party with the support of the people had routed the Communists in Kerala and defeated them in Bengal.
"It is now time for us to repeat that in this state. The Communists are nowhere, except in China and Tripura," he had said.
Voting in the Tripura polls is scheduled tomorrow. The Left parties and Congress have been traditional rivals in Tripura, Kerala and West Bengal.
After Mamata Banerjee-led Trinamool Congress exited from the ruling UPA coalition, a section in the Congress sees the Left parties as natural allies in New Delhi.
With general elections just 15 months away, Congress has also initiated the exercise of finding new friends and allies.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Jamaat-e-Islami chief announces Rs 100 cr reward for PM Modi's arrest
- DNA: Captain Saurabh Kalia's torture at the hands of Pakistani Army
- India's second deadliest heatwave kills more than 2000 people
- DNA: Govt tests Maggi noodle samples from all states
- Zee Media exclusive interview with victim of Uber molestation
- Anti-minority remarks by Sangh Parivar leaders 'uncalled for': Narendra Modi
- Was asked to call Sunanda Pushkar’s death `natural`: AIIMS doctor
- CHSE Odisha +2 Results 2015 (chseodisha.nic.in): Odisha Board Class 12th Result 2015 declared on orissaresults.nic.in
- From being the ‘Dabangg’ girl to ‘Akira’ - Sonakshi Sinha’s journey so far