Time report deliberate attempt to attack PM: Ravi
Kochi: Union Minister for Overseas Indian Affairs Vayalar Ravi on Monday said `Time` magazine`s criticism of Prime Minister Manmohan Singh was a `deliberate attempt` to malign the UPA government and attack him.
It is a `deliberate attempt by a section instigated by the multinationals`..... They are trying to frighten the investors and provoke the Prime Minister`, he told reporters here.
"Foreign countries cannot dictate our economic policies. It cannot be accepted. This is a desperate attempt. We do not approve such actions by media and multinationals`, he said.
`This is a frontal attack on the Prime minister. Their criticisms are not acceptable to the government of India`.
The remarks were in response to questions on Time magazine Asia edition report on Dr Singh, describing him as an `underachiever.`
On Foreign Direct Investment in the Retail sector, the minister said government would not take any steps to jeopardise the domestic retail sector.
He pointed out that International credit rating agency S&P had earlier described Dr Singh as `unelected leader`.
Ravi said the `Time` had earlier featured Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi and had praised him. `I do not want to make any personal comment against modi. But after the Gujarat riots, the problems still exist`, he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Ceasefire violations by Pak: Should India carry out surgical strike part-II?
- Pak High Commission staffer grilled for spying, asked to leave India
- Panel discussion on the need of Pakistan's ambassador in India
- Meet Lynlee Hope - Texas baby who was 'born' twice!
- DNA: Zee Media's campaign to celebrate Diwali with soldier's family
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- Pakistan High Commission staffer, briefly detained for espionage, asked to leave India in 48 hours
- Diwali 2016: Dhanteras Puja timings, Tithi and Vidhi
- Pakistan declares Indian High Commission official persona non grata, asks him to leave country
- UPA govt thought of attacking Lashkar HQ, training camps after 26/11 strike, claims ex-NSA Shivshankar Menon