Time to address disruptions in Parliament: President
New Delhi: Expressing serious concern over the menace of disruptions in Parliament and legislatures, President Pranab Mukherjee today said time has now come to address the issue which cannot simply be brushed aside as necessary to bring a recalcitrant administration to its knees.
"In my younger days we were taught that the essence of democracy is 3D--debate and discussion, dissent and finally decision. But when I retired from Parliament in July (after over four decades in public life), I find there was another D--disruption of proceedings of the House," he said.
Mukherjee was speaking after inaugurating "The Hindu Centre for Politics and Public Policy"--a think tank on public policies and governance-set up by 134-year-old English daily "The Hindu" in Chennai.
The function, in which he inaugurated the centre by unveiling a plaque was attended by a galaxy of personalities that included Congress President Sonia Gandhi, senior BJP leader L K Advani, former Prime Minister Deve Gowda, CPI General Secretary Prakash Karat, Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi, Union Ministers and MPs.
The President, who had a long distinguished Parliamentary career, also spoke on the need to discuss how institutions of Parliamentary democracy can be strengthened.
Speaking on disruptions, he said, "We cannot simply brush it aside and say it may be necessary. The persons who are doing it, these are persons in Parliament who are equally responsible personalities. Is it not time to find out how to address the issue."
Mukherjee said it is said that sometimes it is necessary to bring around a recalcitrant administration for finding a resolution to issues.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- Bihar: Congress leader Brajesh Pandey accused of running sex racket
- Panel discussion over why SP government is backing Gayatri Prajapati
- Why is religion being made the basis of election campaigns in UP?
- 7th Pay Commission: Allowances committee raises HRA to 30%?
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating him on 'record' Puma deal
- Virat Kohli becomes first Indian sportsperson to sign Rs 100-crore endorsement deal
- IPL 2017 Auction: Reaction-filled Twitter erupts with emotions!
- Sony Xperia X gets a price cut of whopping Rs 14,000