Timeline of 26/11 case
Mumbai: The Bombay High Court on Monday upheld the death sentence of Pakistani terrorist Mohammed Ajmal Amir Kasab, nearly 27 months after he and nine other gunmen created mayhem in Mumbai killing 166 and injuring over 230 people. Here is the timeline of the case:
Nov 26, 2008: Kasab and nine Pakistani gunmen launch a bloody attack on multiple locations in south Mumbai.
Nov 27, 2008: At 1.30 am, Kasab is caught and placed under arrest.
Nov 29, 2008: Kasab gives statement to police, confesses his role in the massacre.
Nov 29, 2008: All places under siege secured after 60 hours, nine terrorists killed.
Nov 30, 2008: Kasab confesses before police.
Jan 13, 2009: ML Tahaliyani appointed 26/11 Special Judge.
Jan 16, 2009: Arthur Road Jail selected for Kasab`s trial.
Feb 5, 2009: Kasab`s DNA samples matches with articles seized from fishing boat Kuber.
Feb 20/21, 2009: Kasab makes confession before Magistrate RV Sawant-Wagule.
Feb 22, 2009: Ujjwal Nikam appointed special public prosecutor.
Feb 25, 2009: Chargesheet against Kasab, two others filed in Esplanade Metropolitan Court.
Apr 1, 2009: Anjali Waghmare appointed Kasab`s lawyer.
Apr 15, 2009: Trial in 26/11 case commences.
Apr 15, 2009: Anjali Waghmare removed as Kasab`s lawyer.
Apr 16, 2009: Abbas Kazmi appointed as Kasab`s lawyer.
Apr 20, 2009: Prosecution charges Kasab on 312 counts.
May 6, 2009: Charges framed, Kasab charged on 86 counts, but he denies charges.
May 8, 2009: First eyewitness deposes, identifies Kasab.
June 23, 2009: Non-bailable warrants issued against 22, including Lashkar-e-Toiba founder Hafeez Saeed and its communications expert Zakiur Rehman Lakhvi.
July 20, 2009: Kasab pleads guilty before Special Judge ML Tahaliyani.
Nov 30, 2009: Abbas Kazmi removed as Kasab`s lawyer.
Dec 1, 2009: KP Pawar replaces Kazmi.
Dec 16, 2009: Prosecution completes arguments in case.
Feb 11, 2010: 26/11 case lawyer Shahid Azmi shot dead.
March 31, 2010: Special court fixes May 3 as date of judgement.
May 6, 2010: Kasab sentenced to death by 26/11 court.
June 8, 2010: Amin Solkar, Farhana Shah appointed lawyers for Kasab to appear in the high court.
Oct 18, 2010: Hearing on Kasab`s death sentence confirmation/his appeal commences in high court.
Oct 19, 2010 Kasab throws tantrums, says he wants to attend the court in person, spits at camera and says "send me to America". Judges warn him to behave.
Oct 25, 2010: High Court judges views CCTV footage showing Kasab and slain terrorist Abu Ismail in terror acts.
Nov 19, 2010: Public prosecutor Ujjwal Nikam tells court that 26/11 attackers wanted separate state for Muslims.
Nov 25, 2010: Kasab`s lawyer Amin Solkar begins arguments, says trial was unfair. He demands retrial of the case.
Nov 30, 2010: Solkar argues that charge of "waging war against nation" was not made out against Kasab.
Jan 17, 2011: Court reserves judgment till Feb 7.
Feb 7, 2011: Bombay High Court sets Feb 21 as judgement date.
Feb 21, 2011: Bombay High Court upholds Kasab`s death verdict.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Boyfriend murders DU student Arzu Singh; hides body in his house for three days
- International Fleet Review: India shows off naval prowess in "Operation Demo"
- Declared unfit for employment, man invents cost-effective electric car called Pixie!
- Can comments on social media against politicians land you in jail?
- Is Pakistan trying to divert India from issue of terrorism?
- India vs Sri Lanka 2016, 1st T20I: Squads, date, time, TV listing, live streaming
- SSC CGL 2016 exam dates out; read the eligibility criteria, registration details
- Bangladesh scraps China-proposed deep sea port, India offers help to develop another
- Deepika Padukone reads letter written by father – Watch - You will be moved to tears
- Watch video: Samajwadi Party leader's celebratory firing kills 10-year-old child in Shamli