Timeline of 2G spectrum case
New Delhi: With the arrest of former Tamil Nadu chief minister M Karunanidhi’s daughter Kanimozhi, the second generation (2G) spectrum case has taken another turn. A timeline of the case:
- Oct 22, 2009: The CBI files a first information report (FIR) against unidentified officials of the department of telecommunications on the 2G spectrum (airwaves) auction, based on a reference from the Central Vigilance Commission.
- November first week, 2010: Media publishes contents of the Comptroller and Auditor General (CAG) report on the 2G spectrum auction. The CAG said that the public exchequer suffered a notional loss of Rs.1.76 lakh crore ($40 billion) due to faulty auction procedure under Raja in 2008.
- Nov 9, 2010: Parliament`s winter session begins. Protests by the National Democratic Alliance (NDA), the Left parties and other parties - demanding a joint parliamentary committee (JPC) probe into the spectrum scandal - wash away the five-week session.
- Nov 14: Raja submits his resignation to Prime Minister Manmohan Singh in New Delhi. Claims he did no wrong.
- Nov 16: CAG report on 2G spectrum allocation tabled in both houses of parliament amidst uproarious scenes.
- Dec 8: The CBI raids the house of Raja and premises of former aides Siddharth Behura and RK Chandolia in New Delhi. It also raids houses and offices of Raja`s relatives, associates and some journalists and social workers in Tamil Nadu linked to the DMK and Raja. The CBI claims recovering incriminating documents.
- Dec 15: The CBI raids the houses and offices of Niira Radia, a corporate lobbyist linked with Raja. She is subsequently questioned by the CBI several times.
- Dec 24: The CBI questions Raja in New Delhi.
- Dec 25: Raja`s questioning continues for the second day.
- Jan 31, 2011: The CBI questions Raja again.
- Feb 2: The CBI arrests Raja, Chandolia and Behura.
- April 2: CBI filed charges against nine people and three firms -- Raja, Chandolia, Behura, Swan Telecom promoter Shahid Balwa, director Vinod Goenka, Unitech director Sanjay Chandra and three officials from the Reliance Anil Dhirubhai Ambani Group -- Gautam Doshi, Hari Nair and Surendra Pipara.
April 20: Special city court denies bail to Goenka, Chandra, Doshi, Nair and Pipara.
April 25: In a major embarrassment for Karunanidhi, daughter Kanimozhi named co-conspirator, along with Sharad Kumar of Kalaignar TV, Karim Morani of Cineyug Films, and Asif Balwa and Rajiv B. Agarwal of Kusegaon Realty.
May 6: Morani had got exemption for appearance as he was admitted to Mumbai`s Lilavati Hospital. He again got exemption May 10 on the same grounds. Pipara is in All India Institute of Medical Sciences for treatment, but continues to be in judicial custody.
May 20: Kanimozhi`s bail plea rejected. Sent to judicial custody in Tihar Jail. Sharad Kumar also to go to jail.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rajinikanth's 'Kabali' releases early morning at 6 am in Mumbai!
- Jharkhand: Zee Media honors ten environmentalists with Green Warrior Award
- DNA: Why nationalist reporting trigger protest in Gurez valley?
- DNA: Why nationalist reporting trigger protest in Gurez valley? - Part II
- DNA: Why nationalist reporting trigger protest in Gurez valley? - Part III
- Gujarat Dalit protest: After Rahul, Kejriwal to visit violence-hit Una today
- PM Narendra Modi to lay foundation stone of AIIMS in Gorakhpur today
- Rajya Sabha to vote on bill seeking 'special status' for Andhra Pradesh today
- 'Bunty Chor' - Delhi's high-end car thief arrested; BMW, Toyota Fortuner recovered
- Mayawati slur: Dayashankar Singh may surrender today; wife alleges harassment by BSP goons