Tirath for making beat policemen responsible for crime
New Delhi: Collective efforts should be made to prevent heinous incidents like child rape and beat police- men should be held responsible for such crimes in their areas, Women and Child Welfare Minister Krishna Tirath said on Monday.
There is a need to involve all, including social workers, NGOs and policemen to create awareness against such incidents and prevent heinous crimes, Tirath told reporters outside Parliament.
"Sensitisation of policemen and creating awareness against such (child rape) incidents are also necessary. Beat policemen should be held responsible if such crimes happen in their areas," she said.
The five-year-old girl was brutally raped and assaulted allegedly by her neighbour while being held captive and starved for two days in east Delhi`s Gandhi Nagar. She also contracted infection from foreign objects inserted in her body.
Tirath said there should be a mechanism for punishing the culprits through fast track mode.
Asked whether Delhi Police Commissioner should be removed, Tirath said "I am in favour of action against erring policemen. But at the same time, my question is whether his removal will help in preventing such crime."
"We should make collective efforts to prevent such type of crime by involving all sections of the society including beat policemen. Stringent punishment should be meted out to culprits to send out a strong message."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- India to activate lazer walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- EPFO to launch new online system for pensions and PFs soon
- PM Modi calls meeting to review Indus Waters Treaty today
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- Five takeaways from Sushma Swaraj's speech at UN General Assembly
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- 7 scenarios Pak will face directly if India scraps Indus Waters Treaty – Read details
- REALITY CHECK of WhatsApp message: How common man can sign petition to declare Pakistan a terror state