Tirath for strong action against ‘wife-beating’ diplomat
New Delhi: Seeking strong action against
senior London-based diplomat Anil Verma, accused of assaulting
his wife, Women and Child Development Minister Krishna Tirath
Tuesday said the government should stop the increments of such
high-ranking officials who abuse their positions.
"Strong action should be taken against such officials
and their increments should be stopped," Tirath said on the
sidelines of a function here.
Verma, a 1986-batch IAS officer of the West Bengal
cadre and third-ranked diplomat in the Indian High Commission
in United Kingdom, found himself in trouble when his wife
covered in blood was found screaming by neighbours on December
When the police arrived, 45-year-old Verma, Minister
(Economic) in the Indian mission, claimed diplomatic immunity
and escaped action.
Tirath also termed the action of a khap panchayat
banning girls from wearing jeans as "unconstitutional".
A UP khap panchayat had passed a diktat against
wearing jeans last week on the grounds that it had a "bad
effect" on young women and "eve-teasing incidents had
increased due to their objectionable clothes".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India vs New Zealand, 3rd ODI: As it happened...
- 7th Pay Commission: Committee on Allowances proposes hike in HRA for central govt employees
- Tata Sons removes Cyrus Mistry as Chairman; Ratan Tata interim boss for 4 months
- Uttar Pradesh CM Akhilesh Yadav told Mulayam Singh's brother Shivpal that he would float new party?
- This is why Cyrus Mistry was removed as Chairman of Tata Sons!