Tirath questions protests over Asaram`s arrest
New Delhi: Union Minister Krishna Tirath on Tuesday expressed surprise over some people choosing to protest against the arrest of self styled godman Asaram Bapu who has been accused of raping a 16-year-old girl in Jodhpur.
Denouncing the incident, Tirath said, "Given the spiritual and traditional ethos of our country, such a person cannot be called a saint.
"Whatever has happened is wrong and shameful and common people should think twice before putting their trust on such people. Even those who are protesting should know for whom they are doing such things. He has indulged in such a degrading act," said Tirath.
Scores of supporters of Asaram Bapu had staged a protest at Jantar Manatar demanding his immediate release yesterday claiming he is innocent and was being targeted.
72-year-old Asaram has been accused of sexually assaulting a 16-year-old girl at his ashram here. He was arrested and remanded in 14-day judicial custody by a Jodhpur court yesterday.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi visits Lord Jagannath temple at Puri
- Boyfriend murders DU student Arzu Singh; hides body in his house for three days
- International Fleet Review: India shows off naval prowess in "Operation Demo"
- Declared unfit for employment, man invents cost-effective electric car called Pixie!
- Can comments on social media against politicians land you in jail?
- PM Narendra Modi never disappoints his supporters, here's another example - see pic
- Year of the Monkey: Know how lucky you are according to Chinese calendar!
- India vs Sri Lanka 2016, 1st T20I: Squads, date, time, TV listing, live streaming
- WATCH: When PM Modi took his supporters by surprise, came to meet them standing on car's side foot step
- After prayers at Jagannath Temple, PM Narendra Modi inaugurates IOCL project at Paradip refinery