Tirath seeks strong punishment for child-traffickers
New Delhi: Admitting that trafficking of girl child is rampant nationwide, Women and Child Development Minister Krishna Tirath on Monday demanded "strong punishment" for those who are involved in such illegal activities.
"Buying and selling of girl child is rampant across the country. This (case of two-year-old battered girl child) also seems like a similar case. Strong punishment should be given to whosoever the culprit will be so that common people will
see what happens in such cases," Tirath said while reacting to the case of a child admitted in AIIMS.
The child, Falak, was brought to the hospital with severe head injury, both her arms broken, bite marks all over her body and her cheeks branded with hot iron.
Tirath said the child`s condition was critical and police as well as a team of National Commission for Protection of Child Rights (NCPCR) were also trying to find out who her mother was and why she had left the child.
Appealing to the society to become more pro-active, the minister said, "We in the society should think about such issues. If something happens near you, you should contact police and try to stop such acts, writing a letter to NCPCR is also a way."
Such acts could be stopped by raising awareness at panchayat and constituency levels, she pointed.
Tirath said her Ministry was ready to help the girl but "first we need to save the girl then we can keep her in ICPS home and if somebody wants to adopt her, that is also possible."
Meanwhile, the Delhi Police today claimed that they were close to cracking the case as it questioned a woman who got the child from her biological mother.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dadri lynching: Is Kejriwal spreading poison between Hindus and Muslims?
- Lalu Prasad calls beef eating people uncultured
- Why did Indrani Mukerjea attempt suicide?
- Muslims asked to sprinkle cow urine on body in order to be part of Garba festivities
- Dadri lynching: Locals stop Arvind Kejriwal from entering Bisara village
- Sonia begins Bihar polls campaining; accuses PM Modi of 'narrow-mindedness'
- Salman Khan’s ‘Prem Ratan Dhan Payo’ trailer creates a record!
- Indrani Mukerjea's FSL report rules out drug overdose, says no chemicals found in stomach wash
- Lynching case in Dadri: Rahul meets victim Iqlakh's family, says touched by people's desire to maintain harmony
- Muslims banned from Garba in Gujarat's Mandvi; Hindus asked to sprinkle cow urine on themselves