Tirupati temple idols to be brought to Delhi
New Delhi: The idols of Lord Sri
Venkateswara of the famous Tirupati temple in Andhra Pradesh
will be brought to the capital for a special ceremony next
The `ursava murthis` or processional idols of Lord Sri
Venkateswara, Laxmi and Padmavati will be brought to the
capital from Tirupati for `Kalyana Mahotsavam` puja.
The idols are being brought to the capital for the
celestial `Kalyanama Mahotsavam` or the symbolic wedding of
Lord Venketeswara with Laxmi and Padmavati. The idols are made
of five metals and embedded with precious stones.
About 40 priests, including the head priest, will
escort the idols from Tirupati to Delhi.
"Traditionally, devotees go to seek blessings of the
Lord but this time the Lord is coming to bless his devotees.
Actually, there are a lot of aged people who cannot make it
to Tirupati so these idols have been brought here," N
Rajesekhara Babu, an organiser, said.
Kalyana Mahotsavam puja is performed daily for about
three hours in Tirupati and it is for the fourth time that
such a ceremony is being organised in Delhi.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Barack Obama thanks Americans for making him a 'better man'
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan