Tiwari gets final ultimatum to give blood sample for DNA test
New Delhi: In a setback for veteran Congress leader ND Tiwari, the Delhi High Court on Wednesday rejected his plea to stay proceedings in connection with a paternity suit filed by Rohit Shekhar, who claims to be his biological son.
The court also directed its registry to take police help for bringing ND Tiwari to court to get his blood sample in connection with the paternity suit if he fails to present himself for the same on or before May 21.
The High Court had earlier asked him to inform it by (Wednesday) whether he is ready to voluntarily give his blood sample for a DNA test in a paternity suit or police should use force to obtain it.
It was left for Tiwari to make the choice, during the last hearing on Monday, by the Delhi HC.
Justice Reva Khetrapal had also told the counsel for 86-year-old Tiwari that his client will not leave India till he gives his blood sample for the requisite DNA test in the matter in the wake of orders of the Delhi HC and the Supreme Court.
Tiwari, former chief minister of Uttar Pradesh and Uttarakhand, was earlier directed by the High Court and the apex court to furnish a blood sample for the DNA test.
The court had also directed the Hyderabad-based Centre for DNA Fingerprinting and Diagnostics (CDFD) to send "requisite kits" for the DNA test to the registrar of the court.
The court`s directions came on an application of 32-year-old Rohit Shekhar seeking to compel Tiwari to furnish his blood sample at the earliest to decide the four-year-old paternity suit.
The court was hearing a fresh plea by Shekhar against Tiwari, a former Governor of Andhra Pradesh, seeking that he be asked to give the blood sample to ascertain whether he was the biological father of the petitioner.
The veteran leader had recently suffered setbacks in the High Court and the Supreme Court in his bid to avoid giving his blood sample.
Shekhar had in 2008 filed the paternity suit seeking to declare Tiwari as his biological father.
Tiwari, who had also held key ministerial portfolios at the Centre, was forced to resign as the Andhra Pradesh Governor in 2009 amid allegations of sexual misconduct against him following the airing of a sting operation in news channels.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Revealed - How Indian Army hit terror camps across LoC!
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Is it time for India to respond militarily to Pak terror instead of peace talks?
- India used 'Cartosat 2c' satellite in surgical strikes against Pakistan
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- After threatening Zee News, Hafiz Saeed says PM Modi, Ajit Doval staged `surgical strike drama'
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read