TMC announces candidates for Sikkim, Andaman and Nicobar LS seats
Kolkata: Trinamool Congress on Friday nominated former MP Nakul Das Rai as its candidate for the lone Lok Sabha seat in Sikkim and gave the party ticket to Anita Bhakta Mondal for the Andaman and Nicobar seat.
The party also changed the constituency for former Bollywood actor Biswajit from South Delhi to New Delhi.
Trinamool Congress, in its bid to spread outside West Bengal and a couple of other states where it has miniscule presence, announced candidates for the first time in neighbouring Sikkim, putting up former Lok Sabha MP Nakul Das Rai.
Rai is a former Sikkim Democratic Front (SDF) MP from Sikkim and was expelled from the party after he had participated in a fast at Gangtok to show solidarity with Anna Hazare`s anti-graft movement.
The party nominated Anita Bhakta (Mondal) for the Andaman and Nicobar seat, which was held by her father Manoranjan Bhakta for eight terms, Trinamool Congress all India general secretary Mukul Roy announced here.
BJP had wrested the seat from Congress in the 2009 general elections.
The TMC candidate for Ranaghat seat in West Bengal Saugata Burman, who has suffered a major accident, was replaced by Kalyani University professor Tapas Mondal, Roy said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Delhi: Two killed in road accident in New Ashok Nagar
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- Fiji: Floating island restaurant in middle of ocean
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- CBSE Results 2015: 10th board exam results to be declared on May 27
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- Jayalalithaa returns as Tamil Nadu CM: As it happened