TMC concerns on NCTC may be reflected in PM`s reply
New Delhi: The concerns of Trinamool
Congress on the formation of NCTC is likely to be reflected in
the reply of Prime Minister Manmohan Singh on the debate on
the Motion of Thanks to the President on Monday, sources said
Though a Trinamool Congress amendment to President
Pratibha Patil`s address seeking deletion of the reference to
the controversial matter was rejected in the Lok Sabha, the
concerns expressed by TMC chief Mamata Banerjee would be
suitably reflected in the Prime Minister`s reply to the
three-day debate, they said.
This was conveyed to Trinamool leader Sudip Bandopadhyay
by Finance Minister Pranab Mukherjee in Parliament today, the
The TMC chief and West Bengal Chief Minister had opposed
the proposal for setting up of the National Counter Terrorism
Centre (NCTC), an issue over which the Trinamool Congress has
made common cause with the Opposition and some non-Congress
chief ministers saying the states` rights were being
The move could soothe the ruffled feathers of the crucial
UPA ally, which has sought replacement of Dinesh Trivedi as
the Railway Minister by Banerjee`s close confidante Mukul Roy.
The TMC move to amend the President`s address, which was
rejected on technical grounds, could have embarrassed the
government in Parliament.
Around 2,700 amendments to the President`s Address have
been submitted in both Houses in a bid to corner the
government on issues like NCTC, federalism and corruption.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31
- Call up this number and get Reliance Jio's SIM for sure
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray