TMC demands judicial probe into Batla encounter
New Delhi: UPA constituent Trinamool
Congress on Friday demanded judicial probe into the Batla House
shootout in New Delhi to clear controversies surrounding the case
"once and for all."
"The incident (Batla House) happened in 2008 and four
years have passed since then. But the controversies
surrounding the incident always come up during the election
period. Our party wants judicial inquiry into the case to
clear controversies," Minister of State for Tourism Sultan
Ahmed said here.
Home Minister P Chidambaram has already ruled out
reopening the Batla House encounter case in which two
suspected terrorists and Delhi Police inspector M C Sharma
"There are many versions on the encounter...Home Minister
P Chidambaram is saying something, Congress leader Digvijay
Singh is saying something.. let it be settled once and for
all," the Trinamool leader said.
Digvijay Singh has been claiming that the encounter was
fake but Chidambaram recently asserted that all authorities
have concluded that the encounter was "genuine" and there was
no scope for reopening the case.
TMC has fielded 37 candidates in the second phase Uttar
Pradesh assembly elections.
alternative. We are part of the UPA government at the Centre
and our coalition government is in West Bengal. But we are
contesting elections in UP, Uttrakhand, Manipur and Goa."
Asked whether West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee
will campaign in UP elections, he said "no decision has been
taken so far."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video