TMC mocks Rahul remarks, says people want viable alternative
Kolkata: Mocking Congress vice-president Rahul Gandhi`s statement on providing more subsidised LPG cylinders, Trinamool Congress MP Saugata Roy said on Sunday said people would vote for a viable alternative other than the Congress and the BJP in the next Lok Sabha elections.
"When we walked out of the UPA in 2012 protesting against less number of subsidised cylinders, they (Congress) didn`t pay any heed to it. But after losing Assembly elections in four states they have realised it. Their realisation came after losing," Roy said.
Rahul Gandhi, who is heading the Congress`s campaign team, had demanded on Friday during an AICC session that the number of subsidised LPG cylinders should be increased.
"Congress and BJP are two sides of the same coin. In the next Lok Sabha elections, people will vote for a viable alternative. It has already happened in the Delhi Assembly elections. We feel the prospects of a federal front are very bright in the next general elections," he said.
The issue of an anti-Congress, anti-BJP federal front was tossed up by West Bengal Chief Minister and Trinamool chairperson Mamata Banerjee after her party walked out of the UPA government over the decision to allow FDI in retail trade.
Roy also said Trinamool would maintain equi-distance from both the Congress and the BJP.
"TMC will maintain equi-distance from the BJP and the Congress. The common man`s basic demand is `roti-kapda-makan` (food-clothes-housing). Neither the BJP nor the Congress can provide it to the common man," Roy added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Lalu Yadav attacks PM Modi over Mahatma Gandhi's assassination
- Whole world is worried about global warming and climate change, says PM Modi
- Bihar will celebrate two Diwalis in 2015, one will be after poll results: Modi
- Is Mahatma Gandhi's name slowly fading away from the minds of the youth?
- DNA: Analysis of Prime Minister Modi's rapidfire politics on Gandhi Jayanti
- World can now see consequences of Pakistan occupation in PoK: India
- Watch: Unbelievable! Kapil Sharma thrown out of Aishwarya Rai’s vanity van
- 1st T20: India vs South Africa – Players to watch out for
- Know who replaced Katrina Kaif in film opposite Jackie Chan
- Indrani Mukerjea's condition critical due to drug overdose; Maha govt orders inquiry