TMC terms Ambedkar cartoon `shameful`
New Delhi: UPA`s key ally Trinamool Congress Friday termed as "a crime and a very shameful matter" the issue of publication of a cartoon of B R Ambedkar in an NCERT text book and demanded "strong action" against the officials responsible for it.
"This is a very shameful matter. This is a crime. Whoever has published who drew it...It spoils image of not only the government, but the entire country," Trinamool Congress leader and Minister of State for Tourism Sultan Ahmed told reporters outside Parliament House.
Observing that there is already discrimination in the society, he said, "If such type of things come to light, it will strengthen forces which want to divide the country on social and religious lines."
"Government should take strong action against the publication and officials," he said.
Proceedings in Parliament were disrupted today due to turmoil over the cartoon of Ambedkar in an NCERT text book.
Carrying photocopies of the cartoon, members of BSP, SP, RJD, AIADMK and CPI rushed into the Well in Lok Sabha and Rajya Sabha, forcing two adjournments of both Houses before lunch.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will India's strategies change over issues with Pakistan?
- Will India's strategies change over issues with Pakistan? - Part II
- Will India's strategies change over issues with Pakistan? - Part III
- Will India's strategies change over issues with Pakistan? - Part IV
- Exclusive: Home Minister Rajnath Singh in conversation with Sudhir Chaudhary
- AAP MLA Jagdeep Singh arrested on assault charges, later released on bail
- Red Bull apologise to Daniel Ricciardo for pit-stop bungle at Monaco
- Have you ever encountered death? These people did and were lucky to survive it – Watch
- Badaun re-run? Teenage girl murdered after gang-rape, body hanged from tree in UP
- Teen sensation Marcus Rashford signs bumper long-term contract at Manchester United: Reports