TMC terms Ambedkar cartoon `shameful`
New Delhi: UPA`s key ally Trinamool Congress Friday termed as "a crime and a very shameful matter" the issue of publication of a cartoon of B R Ambedkar in an NCERT text book and demanded "strong action" against the officials responsible for it.
"This is a very shameful matter. This is a crime. Whoever has published who drew it...It spoils image of not only the government, but the entire country," Trinamool Congress leader and Minister of State for Tourism Sultan Ahmed told reporters outside Parliament House.
Observing that there is already discrimination in the society, he said, "If such type of things come to light, it will strengthen forces which want to divide the country on social and religious lines."
"Government should take strong action against the publication and officials," he said.
Proceedings in Parliament were disrupted today due to turmoil over the cartoon of Ambedkar in an NCERT text book.
Carrying photocopies of the cartoon, members of BSP, SP, RJD, AIADMK and CPI rushed into the Well in Lok Sabha and Rajya Sabha, forcing two adjournments of both Houses before lunch.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Former CM Panneerselvam demands secret voting in Tamil Nadu Assembly
- UP elections in third phase; voting on 69 seats of 12 districts
- RJD strongman Shahabuddin brought to Delhi
- Exclusive: In conversation with Rajnath Singh, Union Home Minister
- DMK, Congress will vote against government formation in Tamil Nadu
- 'BJP is winning by absolute majority in Uttar Pradesh Assembly elections'
- Pakistan Senate passes Hindu Marriage Bill
- This video of Brett Lee's 143m six is taking internet by storm – Watch Video
- India can meet its energy requirements from Moon by 2030, says ISRO
- J&K: 26 soldiers martyred, 22 militants killed as Army steps up security in Valley