TMC wants more discussion on pension bill: Roy
Kolkata: Registering firm opposition over the proposed pension bill, Railway Minister and Trinamool Congress general secretary Mukul Roy Thursday said his party wants more discussion on it as the standing committee on the legislation didn`t have any representative from Trinamool.
"Trinamool Congress wants more discussion on the issue of pension bill. Earlier, along with other parties we had also opposed the pension bill. The bill was then sent to the standing committee," said Roy.
"The standing committee meetings were held on July 21, Aug 3 and 29. But after Sudip Bandopadhyay became a minister of state on July 12, we had no representation in the standing committee. So, we feel that more discussion is needed over this issue," said Roy.
The government Thursday deferred a decision on pension fund reforms following opposition from Trinamool Congress, a key ally.
The Pension Fund Regulatory and Development Authority Bill, 2011, which seeks to allow private and foreign investments in pension sector and to introduce comprehensive reforms, was listed in the agenda for the union cabinet meeting in New Delhi.
However, the meeting, chaired by Prime Minister Manmohan Singh, chose to defer the decision on the bill following opposition from the Trinamool, sources said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- CM Yogi’s cleanliness drive: UP cops clean up police stations
- Martyrs' Day: Nation remembers Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev and Rajguru for their sacrifice
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next
- Yogi Adityanath took THESE 20 big actions in just 75 hours after becoming UP CM