TN cracker godown fire toll mounts to 32
Pallipat (TN): The death toll in the cracker
godown fire here on Saturday mounted to 32 with two more bodies were
pulled out of the building.
Besides, ten others were injured when the fire swept
through the cracker godown here, 90km from Chennai, last
At least 32 badly charred bodies have been pulled out of
the godown which was a wholesale point of firecrackers,
Tiruvallur District Collector Palani Kumar told reporters.
He said 23 people -- 20 from Andhra Pradesh and three
from Tamil Nadu -- have complained to the tehsildar office
that their loved ones are missing since yesterday.
Rescue operations were on to see if there were any other
charred bodies stuck in the burnt godown, police sources said.
Majority of the victims are believed to be from Chitoor
district in Andhra Pradesh.
Meanwhile, two persons have been arrested in this
connection, police said.
The cause of the fire has yet to be ascertained and
senior police officers are supervising the operations, they
The bodies have been taken to the government hospital in
Tiruttani, police said, adding the toll was higher due to
heavy rush on Diwali eve.
Operations to retrieve the bodies were hampered due to
the absence of electricity following power failure in the area
after the incident.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- GUJCET Results 2015 declared on gseb.org
- Pakistan break Team India's long-standing ODI record at home soil
- Centre moves SC against Delhi HC order on LG's powers; hearing on Friday
- Gujjar agitation: Centre sending additional forces to vacate rail tracks, say sources