TN cracker godown fire toll mounts to 32
Pallipat (TN): The death toll in the cracker
godown fire here on Saturday mounted to 32 with two more bodies were
pulled out of the building.
Besides, ten others were injured when the fire swept
through the cracker godown here, 90km from Chennai, last
At least 32 badly charred bodies have been pulled out of
the godown which was a wholesale point of firecrackers,
Tiruvallur District Collector Palani Kumar told reporters.
He said 23 people -- 20 from Andhra Pradesh and three
from Tamil Nadu -- have complained to the tehsildar office
that their loved ones are missing since yesterday.
Rescue operations were on to see if there were any other
charred bodies stuck in the burnt godown, police sources said.
Majority of the victims are believed to be from Chitoor
district in Andhra Pradesh.
Meanwhile, two persons have been arrested in this
connection, police said.
The cause of the fire has yet to be ascertained and
senior police officers are supervising the operations, they
The bodies have been taken to the government hospital in
Tiruttani, police said, adding the toll was higher due to
heavy rush on Diwali eve.
Operations to retrieve the bodies were hampered due to
the absence of electricity following power failure in the area
after the incident.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- EPFO to launch new online system for pensions and PFs soon
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi
- 7 scenarios Pak will face directly if India scraps Indus Waters Treaty – Read details